Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I bought a 2018 Sportsman 570 EPS brand new, thing is a beast. However, in the first 6 months I had to replace the ecu and throttle housing..... pretty discouraging, thankfully warranty covered it. With repairs finished, all is well and it kills it on the trails again. After a year of riding, the stock wheels and tires weren’t doing it for me so I decided to upgrade to Kenda bear claw htrs with itp hurricane wheels. I went a little bigger than stock and got 26x9x12, 26x11x12, and went 8x cause I ride on Northeast US rocky trails. I was pretty happy with this setup(minus the loss in suspension comfort due to the 8x ply, I really didn’t think I’d lose as much as I did). I didn’t notice any real drop in power, nothing that required a clutch kit, and nothing was rubbing. A couple months later, Eps started struggling.......skipping, randomly pulling or randomly preventing me from steering while hitting the trails aggressively, pretty scary when you have to turn now or hit that tree or boulder. I replaced the speed sensor thinking it would be a quick cheap fix, no dice. Brought it in to the dealer.......needs a new EPS unit with install for $1900. My service guy is cool so he put a claim in with Polaris and got a charity claim so they actually covered the replacement, pfewww. Now..... do I go back to stock size tires and ditch the 8x ply heavys to a 6x or less????? Have those of you running larger tires and a heavier ply had any issues with your EPS? Was this a fluke and I just had a doomed vehicle to begin with?????

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
don’t think I was ever straining it sitting still, I do my best to not slam it far to one side while not moving. The mechanic working on my bike was attributing it to my upgraded tires, but out of everything I’ve ever read on these forums about larger/heavier tires, I haven’t seen one post about EPS failure due to tire size/weight. Which is making me crazy

·
Registered
208 Posts
28s on mine with no problems related to eps failure, the circuit breaker may be causing low voltage at the eps unit, chk it good connection.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good call Mac, thanks for telling me what your running, I really don’t want the failure to be related to my tire setup. I can be handy mechanically, but once I get into the electronics I suck, when I get it back I’ll definitely check all connections. A lot of people, and these forums have told me I should upgrade the stock battery also which may help, or not, but couldn’t hurt since I’m running a winch and have the EPS

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sprotsman, didn’t know that, but definitely good to know. It’s sounding more like every electrical component on bike needs to fail before it’s reliable!!!! Kind of ridiculous that it’s a 2018, I’m the only owner, has fairly low mileage/hours, and I’ve already replaced the ECU, electric Throttle housing, and EPS unit, wtf????? I ride hard, and my trails are aggressive, but not enough to justify all that within 2 years!!!!!! I’m nervous for the next thing to go one me!!! Thankfully I’ve always been able to get it home no matter the condition.

·
9,793 Posts
LOL... 8 ply just means you can air them down without worrying about flats. Your pic looks like you've got 10 psi or more in them. Let'em down to around 4-5 psi and it'll ride much better and stick to the ground better too!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Polman, it’s possible, I usually run them at 6psi, but I should try dropping them a little lower. There definitely not as plush a ride as my stocks at 5psi, I’m not entirely sure what ply they were, but based on how easily they got ripped up by the rocks on my trails, I’d say 2ply!

·
Premium Member
7,998 Posts
Yeah that don't sound right. A whole new EPS because of tires, NO!!! Sounds like you have some electrical issues. At least I would cover those bases before gutting the EPS and replacing it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the Sportsman 570 EPS also ( 2020 ). Don’t have a lot of miles on it yet but I have the same size set up in wheels and tires only mine are Zillas on MSA wheels. Haven’t had any problems so far. Sprotsman is right! The dealer theirselves will put that same set up all day long on a 570. The SP models come like that but with 14 inch wheels. 26” tires isn’t even “ big “. Guys are running way bigger on their 570s and haven’t seen anything about size of tires related to this issue anywhere.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update:
i got my bike back, brand new EPS Unit. I threw in the Yusa High amp battery, hoping that might help with some of my electrical component issues. I had the dealer check the rectifier/regulator just to make sure everything was looking ok, he said it tested fine, he said Polaris did put out a new regulator kit from a different company than what came on mine. He said that might tell him that the ones they put in were shit but they hadn’t made it a warranty issue or admitted to the problem, or, it’s just as simple as changing companies. You guys have any other suggestions of things I can check since this sounds like I’m having electrical issues and not specific component issues?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts