Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a Highlifter 2" lift installed for about a year now and have been thinking of larger tires. I'm not interested in rims so I'm curious how big I can go with the stock rims (currently 25x8R12 front, 25x11R12 rear)?

Not really looking for mud tires, just something like the Maxxis Bighorns. And would I need spacers? It looks to me like I might need something on the rear to push the tire away from the sway bar linkage. The fronts look like maybe it would be ok as the struts lean in away from the sidewalls.

So what options do I have? Can I go 28" or even 29" on stock 12" rims without a whole lot of extra monkey business?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
You can fit 29.5's or 30's on stock wheels with that lift. That being said, it is the width that you need to be concerned with. If you go any wider than 8", depending on the type of tire, you run the risk of rubbing on the tie rod ends. You can do the tie rod end flip and gain some more room, but your best option is to get an aftermarket wheel with a 4+3 offset. Yes, you could just get some wheel spacers, but at $50-$80 a pair, you could purchase wheels for little more.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the good info. That's what I needed.

Figured I'd add a pic. She's just begging for bigger rubber, don't you think?

Any specific suggestions for tires?

BTW, that's exactly 14" of clearance at the footwell. The lift made a huge difference in the woods. No more belly bangs against rocks.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Wow, that thing looks brand new. Yes, some bigger tires to fill those wheel wells will give that atv a brand new look. What type of riding do you do? This is the biggest factor when determining what tires will work best for you. Mud, rocks, trails, etc.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I washed her up before I put the lift on. Figured there'd be less chance of sand/grit getting in things since I had to pull everything apart, such as installing heavier rear axles for the lift.

Right now she looks like she murdered someone. I hauled a few deer out of the woods on her back and she's covered in blood. Kind of an interesting effect on the camo. Could be a new color: Bloody Massacre Camouflage.

Anyway, from what I've seen...if I want to keep the stock rims...about the biggest I can go is 28" with something like the Maxxis Zillas or ITP Mega Mayhems. Both seem to have 28x9R12 and 28x11R12.

I mostly ride trails and in the woods. Not a lot of rocks around here, nor many mud holes. Let me know if you can think of a tire that would better suit me in the 28" 29" range. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
You need spacers or offset rims to fit ANYTHING with a 9" wide front tire.

Go with 28" zillas. They seem to be a fav for most people. The mega mayhems looks pretty awesome too.

·
Registered
434 Posts
the zillas are a great tire but with the 9 inch youll need spacers or rims in the front ive got the 27's and the best part of the zillas is the wieght with the 27's i barely noticed a difference in power and have never smoked a belt the only downside is there a bit undersized 26.5ish and ive heard people say on here if u go bigger then 27 youll want to go with a 14" rim because of wheel roll in the corners ive never personally experienced any wheel roll but just a heads up hope this helps and almost any other aggressive tire if u go bigger then 27" youll more then likely want a clutch kit because of the weight

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
There are not very many choices out there for you in the 28x9x12 range. The zilla is a great tire, but you state that you don't ride any mud, so i would say that the mayhems or zillas are not the best choice for you. I know you are trying to use your stock wheels, but you might want to consider new wheels. You are probably going to need spacers anyway with most any large tire that you try to put on stock wheels. My suggestion is to look at getting some 14" wheels with a 4+3 offset, and give yourself more tire options. This way you are not settling for a tire that you don't want or need just because it is the only option. For your riding style i would go with something like the bighorn.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
If your predominant riding is done on trails, I'd suggest a radial tire such as bighorns/reapers/bear claw htr...ect. They will ride nicer and last longer. They do get heavy so the bigger you go may result in a need for a clutch kit.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the good info. I'm thinking I'll have to sit on the tire idea for a while and see what kind of money I end up with after Christmas. I do agree that new 14" rims would be best.

And I'm kind of hoping it will lead to needing a clutch kit as well. I do like to tinker.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Just a quick question. Will 10" wides fit on the front with 4+3 offset wheels? Or would you need offset and spacers?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Just for reference, I run 26" Big Horns and they run true to size. The stock tires are not 25". It is a a huge difference for a so called 1".

14" rims are not always an upgrade. You get a harsher ride and have less side wall between the rim and rocks.

Running 9" front require a 1/4" spacer. $55 from RDC. 12" wide rear will not rub.

·
Registered
434 Posts
i think u meant 14" is not always an upgrade.....true, but there is more tire selection for a 14" rim, i also agree with it being a ruffer ride thats why i stuck with 12's

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Just a quick question. Will 10" wides fit on the front with 4+3 offset wheels? Or would you need offset and spacers?
As far as I have ever read, 4+3 is good enough to clear 10" wide. It makes sense because it adds nearly 2" of clearance over stock (5+1) so you accommodate a 2" wider tire.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
i think u meant 14" is not always an upgrade.....true, but there is more tire selection for a 14" rim, i also agree with it being a ruffer ride thats why i stuck with 12's

Fixed it. Thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts