Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone,
I recently was in my polaris dealer showroom and saw some sweet 29.5" Anarchy (I think) tires mounted on matte black Polaris rims, they looked so sweet, so I inquired about price and he was gonna give me a sweet deal on the set but then proceeded to ask what machine I had and then said to not even bother because I'll snap my axles???? I'm new to aftermarket atv parts and big tires and am wondering what I can (should) do before I mount big tires on my '11 Sportsman 850. What are the best aftermarket axles (for the price) and what other mods should I make. And/or is it even worth it?
I know guys who run 29.5s on stock Canams with out much issue.
Any information would be greatly appreciated. I really would like some big tires eventually but sounds like I should start somewhere else first.
The guy that I talked to at the dealership always is honest with me and always gives me deals.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
You can run anything you want on stock, but eventually it will go due to rotational forces. Basically the force exerted by the larger tires will be too much for it to handle. When will it go, who knows. Tomorrow or two years is the question. Most likely when in a mud hole. For axles, Voodoo is a solid choice. Forget Gorilla, quality has gone way down (friends opinions). Not positive, but am thinking you will need a lift kit with those wheels as well.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Anyway what should I do?
The guy that I talked to at the dealership always is honest with me
Probably listen to the guy at the dealership.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Start with this Polaris Scrambler 850 and 1000 billet pinion cover ? HD ATV Gear
29.5s will still rub a bit even with HD springs, you will have to max your preloads for sure.
Next get some Rhino front axles from superatv($200) Usually its the fronts crapping out, If you have a heavy thumb do all 4.
Don't skimp out on a clutch kit either, call Ryan at RVSperformance.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Start with this Polaris Scrambler 850 and 1000 billet pinion cover ? HD ATV Gear
29.5s will still rub a bit even with HD springs, you will have to max your preloads for sure.
Next get some Rhino front axles from superatv($200) Usually its the fronts crapping out, If you have a heavy thumb do all 4.
Don't skimp out on a clutch kit either, call Ryan at RVSperformance.
Will that pinion cover fit my 2011 850? I don't see that year listed.

·
Premium Member
7,599 Posts

·
Registered
2,339 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
2009-2014 Polaris Sportsman billet pinion cover ? HD ATV Gear
Sorry you need the long cover, it removes the ADC, Solder in a resistor to keep the idiot lights off.

Those anarchy tires look interesting, like radial outlaws and reg outlaws put together.
Great thanks! So the adc system is the issue on the front diffs?

Nope its not an issue, but its built into the cover up to the 14s i think, so swapping covers you loose it.
The stock cover is thin cast alum that snaps off a the bolts.
The replacement is milled from billet alum.
Heres a vid from a member on here with his new bike

·
Registered
155 Posts
i am running 30 inch zillas on 14 inch rims on my 2009 800 Sportsman - granted i have a Dalton clutch and a 2 inch highlifter kit. I have run about 500km n o axles issues but I think it depends on how you drive it. don't goose it at the bottom of a hill whemn pulling up if you are stuck in deep snow or a boulder or root use the winch.

·
Banned
2,959 Posts
i am running 30 inch zillas on 14 inch rims on my 2009 800 Sportsman - granted i have a Dalton clutch and a 2 inch highlifter kit. I have run about 500km n o axles issues but I think it depends on how you drive it. don't goose it at the bottom of a hill whemn pulling up if you are stuck in deep snow or a boulder or root use the winch.
Zilla's are light and not even close to being an agressive tire like an Outlaw.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
2009-2014 Polaris Sportsman billet pinion cover ? HD ATV Gear
Sorry you need the long cover, it removes the ADC, Solder in a resistor to keep the idiot lights off.

Those anarchy tires look interesting, like radial outlaws and reg outlaws put together.
Great thanks! So the adc system is the issue on the front diffs?

Nope its not an issue, but its built into the cover up to the 14s i think, so swapping covers you loose it.
The stock cover is thin cast alum that snaps off a the bolts.
The replacement is milled from billet alum.
Heres a vid from a member on here with his new bike
Yeah I saw that. Must be YokoChrist?
I wonder how hard they are to install...

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So will changing this pinion cover help with what my dealer warned me about or should I still look at replacing axles.

·
Premium Member
7,599 Posts
I would atleast do the front's.

·
Registered
63 Posts
You should figure out what you want to do and then go from there. If you are going to get a lift, you will waste your money on axles now. Figure out your end game and go from there and decide if its what you want. Do you want 30's on a 4" lift for mudding, or a fast trail runner or etc.... I personally have wasted too much money replacing a replacement because I changed my mind and didn't think of where I really wanted to end up. I am sure I am not alone on this one! Not sure if you ever modded a vehicle, but it quickly becomes a money pit. I think I have more after market parts in my Jeep than original at this point.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Its easy to install.
Drain front diff - pound out roll pin - remove 4 cover screws - cut adc wires - remove old cover and swap over the output shaft and o ring to new cover.
Takes a hammer, punch and an allen key.

I would still recommend front axles, its no fun holding back.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am ordering the pinion cover asap, I was noticing my front axles feel a little loose in the front where they connect to the diff does that mean they are wearing out? The rears are solid. I noticed it last night and my dad's 550 axles are solid as a rock.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You should figure out what you want to do and then go from there. If you are going to get a lift, you will waste your money on axles now. Figure out your end game and go from there and decide if its what you want. Do you want 30's on a 4" lift for mudding, or a fast trail runner or etc.... I personally have wasted too much money replacing a replacement because I changed my mind and didn't think of where I really wanted to end up. I am sure I am not alone on this one! Not sure if you ever modded a vehicle, but it quickly becomes a money pit. I think I have more after market parts in my Jeep than original at this point.
My plan is not to go all out mud machine, I want something I can play in the mud and hit the trails too, I mainly do trails but come across some mud and water holes that need my attention 😉

·
Premium Member
7,599 Posts
Over time those axles get a little play in them on the inboard side!

·
Registered
155 Posts
The bushings get slack for sure they are only cheap plastic -

1 - 20 of 38 Posts