Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
It depends on what year it is.I have an 07 with 27's and no lift kit and they have plenty of room, probably enough for 28's.2004.5 and older will take up to 26's I think without a lift.

·
Registered
86 Posts
what year is your machine? from your response i assume yours is newer than 2004.5? in my opinion on a 500 it would be smart to install a clutch kit for 27's. 27's are pretty big and heavy!! but opinions very!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
its only on size bigger but there also wider! and even though you may be getting lighter rims that doesn't mean the tires will be lighter. possibly heavier than stock! also it may only be one size bigger but think of this, the older 500's came out with 25's. so that means Polaris has already stepped it up a notch.

·
Registered
23 Posts
ya...but i still want something to fill up the fenders a little more. maybe ill just stick with the 26's..cheaper. then get some HD front springs and possiblly clutch kit

·
Registered
86 Posts
ya i have a 04 600. i wanted to fill in my fenders a little to so i went with 26's over stock 25's and know im dealing with a rubbing problem. i think im going to have to lift it or trim the fender flares? not sure yet. just dont tell my wife!! lol

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
with 27's you will want to get a clutch kit, at least i would, and you will probably be dealing with a rubbing issue, whether it is the strut or the fender well

·
Registered
563 Posts
I agree with blueline.I had 27" ITP 589's on my 07 Sportsman 500 and its a little much IMO without a clutch kit.If you have 26" Carlisle ACT tires(on some from factory),they are very light for a 6 ply tire and most other tires are at least 5 lbs heavier each and it makes a big difference.Especially on some of the steeper hills and deeper mud holes.You will need a belt before too long with 27's

·
Registered
563 Posts
The rim offset on factory wheels may come in to play for 27x9 front and 27x11 rear tires.10" wide front and 12" wide rear will definately rub on stock rims.I ended up with 14" ITP SS212 rims instead of factory and the 27x9x14/27x11x14 tires fit good on my 500 and 550XP without a lift kit or spacers.You may need spacers for stock rims.You still may want to consider a clutch kit if you plan to hit some mudholes or hills because of possible belt issues.For normal riding you may not need a clutch kit.A clutch kit will help a lot with the weight difference from factory tires to aftermarket tires and the slight power loss from the weight.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts