Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone used one of these? They have it available for the Hawkeye but I don't want to put something on that's going to make stuff wear out quicker or anything like that, just looking for a little more top end if I can get it. thoughts? opinions?

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
64 Posts
has anyone used one of these? They have it available for the Hawkeye but I don't want to put something on that's going to make stuff wear out quicker or anything like that, just looking for a little more top end if I can get it. thoughts? opinions?
This appears to be the one made by ProCom (unfortunately my antivirus program has flagged their site as unsafe so I didn't go there).

I found some info on another site...

Details on programmer:
This fully reprogrammable high performance ECU is a direct plug-in-&-go type, not a piggyback. This powerful unit comes with our easiest powerful software (you can download the software, driver and user manual from the support section). The unit has already been built in 3D multi-curves and is ready to go. However, you can also make your own map or download the maps below according to the modification of your machine. The simple maps can increase huge horsepower to your machine.
Features:
◦Improved Timing Curves
◦Higher Rev Limit (Increases Top Speed)
◦Removed Reverse Rev Limit When Applicable
◦Overrides for full performance at all times
◦Increased Spark Energy
◦Improved Throttle Response
◦Easier Starting
◦Plug-In Module Replacement (Easy Mounting)
◦ONE YEAR MFG Warranty

This would suggest the unit is a direct replacement for the stock ECM and comes pre-programmed with a basic map.

I have fairly decent knowledge tuning motorcycles with full-featured ECM programs. Personally, I'm a bit skeptical of some of the claims made above.

Not sure what's meant by "Overrides for full performance at all times" or "Increased Spark Energy"

FWIW, most stock ECM programs have some degree of "safety" built into them. For example, the stock rev limit might be rather low and the aftermarket a bit higher. But even the aftermarket units are set to a number that will mostly likely not blow the motor even under max throttle.

Based on my experience with MC units, I would guess this unit does help with horsepower...but I'm guessing that their definition of a "huge increase in HP" is very different then mine.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I would agree ^^^^^

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Pine tree.

the site I saw claimed up to 4 hp. which if you're talking cars or street bikes isn't much, but for a 17 hp Hawkeye 4 hp is a huge increase (20%+) the override just means that they don't limit the throttle in reverse anymore, which was another mod I was going to have to do anyway.

As I'm stuck with this bike for at least another year, I'm looking into waking it up a little bit. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Thanks Pine tree.

the site I saw claimed up to 4 hp. which if you're talking cars or street bikes isn't much, but for a 17 hp Hawkeye 4 hp is a huge increase (20%+) the override just means that they don't limit the throttle in reverse anymore, which was another mod I was going to have to do anyway.

As I'm stuck with this bike for at least another year, I'm looking into waking it up a little bit. Thanks for the help.
Do they provide a dyno sheet as proof? I'm goin to say that *if* there would be a 4hp increase, it'll be all the way at the top of the RPM where most people don't ride anyway. This is true on most aftermarket claims of increases. Power curve may come on slightly sooner, and that's why people think they're making more power. Butt dyno differs from actual dyno results lol

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
honestly, that's where I'm looking for it. I've got no problems getting up and going on the bike, but it tops out at like 40 unless you're headed down a hill. I just want a little more at the top. plenty of torque and grunt for the bottom end to spin the tires when I need to. at least with the stock tires. Going to upgrade to some STI Black diamond ATRs in the stock tire size just for the added traction.

mod plans include;
Quadworks power kit
STI B.D. ATR's
heated grips
hand guards
side mirrors
custom front & Rear bumpers

I already made custom skid plates for it. http://www.polarisatvforums.com/for...ifications/39166-home-made-skid-plates-5.html

Hopefully by the time I get done with all that I'll be time to sell it to upgrade to the 570 and start the mod process all over again. Lol.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks Pine tree.

No worries...

I've come to learn that while many claims are technically correct, they can be very misleading leaving the buyer feeling a lot of remorse.

Up to a 4 hp gain would be significant in your example. But remember, up to 4 hp can mean just slightly more the zero up to 4 horses. In most cases, the up to figure might be had on a machine that is way out of tune and would obviously benefit the most. For a machine in relatively good tune, a lesser amount of gain should be expected.

But what the heck, give it a try...expect little gain and hope for a bunch and it will probably come somewhere in the middle.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This thing is never going to win a top speed competition. but every little bit helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts