Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's that little black relay looking box next to the battery that the positive terminal connects to? There are some other wires connected to that as well.

My bike is not starting and when i turn the key, i hear clicking that comes from the little black box next to the battery. It clicks, but the starter never turns over.

I am wondering if that is the cause of the problem or if its the starter that has gone bad.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
More than likely it the starter solenoid. You can put a ford or lawnmower solenoid on it if it's bad. If battery is dead it will click. It might help if you list your year model.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a 2004 Sportsman 400. It clicks, but the battery does not seem to be dead. My lights work and the instrument panel lights up when i turn the key. If I pull-start it turns on.

What is the function of the starter solenoid? What lawnmower solenoid can i put? I notice there are some other cables attached to that solenoid as well, what are those cables?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
try jumping across positive wires with a screw driver or pair of pliers, wih key on, if it starts, selenoid may be bad, if not probably starter

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Function of the starter solenoid: The solenoid basicly connects the battery to the starter when the switch is in the start position. Once you release the start button the cable from the solenoid to the starter is dead(no Power). The other cables could be winch power cables or other accessories. The lawnmower solenoid I use is a single prong Primeline brand part#7-01861-1. You can buy this at most any parts store. You will have to use some of the wires coming out of the oem solenoid and put a female spade terminal on it. I have done this on 2001 and older model Polaris atvs. Have the battery tested before you buy any parts. Remember electricial parts are non-returnable at most places.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
It's a 2004 Sportsman 400. It clicks, but the battery does not seem to be dead. My lights work and the instrument panel lights up when i turn the key. If I pull-start it turns on.

What is the function of the starter solenoid? What lawnmower solenoid can i put? I notice there are some other cables attached to that solenoid as well, what are those cables?

Thanks for the help!
BEFORE you spend money on a new solenoid, read this:

As TT said, the solenoid interrupts the current going to the starter. You have a constant flow of power coming from the battery, if it went directly to the starter, it would always be running, so the solenoid is nothing more then a magnetic switch that cuts and connects the power from batter to starter. The other wires going into it are from your ignition. When you turn your key to the start position, those wires go into the solenoid and cause the connection to be made so power can go on down to the battery.

A clicking solenoid usually means it is working! As RussC said, with the key in the on position, put a screwdriver across those two terminals, if the the machine starts turning over, the solenoid is bad. If nothing happens, you have a different problem.

Have a shop load test your battery. A batteries voltage level is what powers the headlights and dash lights, but its a batteries amperage that is what starts the machine. Thats why batteries are labeled as cold cranking amps. You every had a car that wont start but the dash lights, radio, and headlights still work? I did last month...battery was shot, and a load test told me that. Its the same principal.

Load test that battery, and try jumping the solenoid terminals with the key in the ON position with a screwdriver before you go spend any money!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
By the way, would you happen to know which is the replacement battery model that i can purchase from a local autoparts? The battery that is currently on this bike has to be wrong because it does not even fit in the battery slot correctly. I guess the previous owner put this one in regardless of it being the correct model.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
The OEM battery is PN# 4010774 and is a Yuasa YTX14AH.

The 14AH should always stay the same among different brands, but the letters before the 14AH can and will change depending on the brand.

·
Registered
176 Posts

Thanks for the help!
BEFORE you spend money on a new solenoid, read this:

As TT said, the solenoid interrupts the current going to the starter. You have a constant flow of power coming from the battery, if it went directly to the starter, it would always be running, so the solenoid is nothing more then a magnetic switch that cuts and connects the power from batter to starter. The other wires going into it are from your ignition. When you turn your key to the start position, those wires go into the solenoid and cause the connection to be made so power can go on down to the battery.

A clicking solenoid usually means it is working! As RussC said, with the key in the on position, put a screwdriver across those two terminals, if the the machine starts turning over, the solenoid is bad. If nothing happens, you have a different problem.

Have a shop load test your battery. A batteries voltage level is what powers the headlights and dash lights, but its a batteries amperage that is what starts the machine. Thats why batteries are labeled as cold cranking amps. You every had a car that wont start but the dash lights, radio, and headlights still work? I did last month...battery was shot, and a load test told me that. Its the same principal.

Load test that battery, and try jumping the solenoid terminals with the key in the ON position with a screwdriver before you go spend any money!!
I'm having a similar problem but no clicking. I've jumped
The solenoid terminals and nothing happens. I have a 2000 xplorer 400. Blueline said " you hAve a different problem". That's mine. I need some help with this. I have a thread on it but haven't had much help. Maybe someone can check out that thread and it
Has more info about my problem. Thread is titled electric start issue

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mine does the clicking but only after its been ran and is hot, but if i keep bumping the start button it will turn over. its too has a new battery and starter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts