Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I blew the piston seal out of my rear brake caliper on my 2013 trail boss. I found one at almost half price, it will be here next friday. I have never installed a piston seal before, do i just slide the old one out and slide the new one in? I am a diesel mechanic, i'm sure i can figure it out, just wanting to get some info before i jump into it.

also on the 2013 trail boss the front brake lever controls front and rear brakes. I plan on removing the line from the front lever to back brakes and cap off the holes, I don't see a reason why it would cause a problem, just wanting to know if anyone has tried this before.

any help appreciated, thanks!

also i run ebc severe duty brake pads, and i go through a set on the rear in about 2 or 3 rides, aren't these supposed to be the best for mud?

·
Registered
326 Posts
This was out of manual. Be sure to but some brake fluid before putting back in the new seals. Also dont push the piston in in a twisting motion. Bleed brakes for both master cylinders for brake lever and foot brake and you should be good to go. Good luck

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank You So Much, So Just Pull It Out, Change O Rings And Seal And Slide Back In? Also Do You Have Any Clue If It Will Cause A Problem To Just Cap Off The Holes For The Line From Front To Back

·
Registered
326 Posts
If i were you i wouldnt mess with my brakes. Brakes are a very essential component imagen loosing your brakes giong fast down a hill. But its up to you if you really want to do that. Oh and for the pads wearing fast. Jack up the front end and spin the wheels make sure there not dragging.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Are you using the rear/foot brake a lot?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I Work On Semis For A Living, I'm Confident In My Work I Just Prefer To Have A Little Info Before I Just Jump Into It. And I Use The Got Brake Mainly When Going Down A Hill Or To Try To Stop Faster. But SiNce They Are Tied Into The Front Brakes They Get Used EveryTime I Need To Brake. Plus I Can't PoweRbrake LOL Sorry For All The Random Capital letters My Phone Sucks

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I had a 2011 Trail Boss so I am familiar with the machine. I think your rear brake problem is just riding harder than the machine is made. Not really designed to ride that hard nor are the brake systems really for a lot of rear brake use. They are designed to be mainly lever operated, which the lever puts more brake force to the front.

Not knocking your riding at all, have fun. Brake pads are cheap if it lets you ride the crap out of your machine and have a good time. I just don't think there is anything you can do about it to make them last longer.

As far as capping the rear, don't see an issue since there is no electronics or AWD to worry about in that sense. What I am not sure of, is if the rear brake pedal operates completely independent as far as lines and fluid when the rear brake is engaged by the pedal vs the lever. That would be easy enough to trace though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts