Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a problem which I am sure someone here knows how to fix it. On my Sportsman 500 1998, not always but sometime, shifting from reverse to forward (doesn't matter if it's high or low), my front right wheel really pulls toward the right. At this point, it's either that I work very hard to keep the steering straight or I stop, go backward a few feet, than try going forward again (fixes my problem 50% of the time, sometime I need to do this 3 times!). After that, if I keep going forward, I have no problems...

Do you know what is wrong with it?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Ur awd is engaging partly

That's what it feels like to have "3 wheel" drive. Solution (per manual) is to back up and go forward a couple times until it unlocks. Longer term solution is to change the awd fluids (on front hubs). :banana:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the answer,

I changed it recently, but I didn't clean everything throughly. I guess I am going to do it again "properly" this time...
Thanks!

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
As others mentioned it's one side of the front diff hanging up (staying engaged), backing up a few feet should disengage it.... if not try flushing the system. If it didn't clean out well when last changed, I would think a small amount of seafoam could be added for a short/easy ride to clean things up, then change.

Or, many use Synthetic ATF fluid in the front diff.... so you could flush with a cheap ATF a time or two if you still wanted to run the more expensive magic Polaris fluids, without wasting the money on Popo just to flush the diff out??!!

And if all else fails.... pull it apart and repair/ replace parts! :D

Just idea's.....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks MustBeNice for your feedback!

Just to be really sure, I only need ATF fluid in the front hubs, right? I don't need any in the front differiential?

I know when I changed the fluid last time, it was pretty dark on the right side. So I took it appart to check everything was ok and all parts looked good to me. I will certainly check the color of the fluid when I finally get time to work on it tomorrow night...

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Yes, sorry your correct..... front hubs. I was thinking the newer machines with central hillard clutch.... not the hub hillards on your '98 500 model.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, thanks for the precision.

I have read this post and the guy really explain in details how to completely disassemble a hub. It's also very clear on how this AWD system works.

However, I still have one question: What would make my wheel "stick" that a fluid change would fix? Debris around the armature plate or in the Hilliard cluth?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Yes, dirty fluid has been known to cause issues with hillard type clutches. It's also the cheapest check list item to try first.... if that doesn't work, it may be a tear down and replacement of the armature plates, ect.

On a "dirty" themed side note..... This winter I had to completely disassemble the drive line of my Ariens snow blower as the interior of the hillard clutch became corroded/rusty and dirty due to seal failure and would not allow the system to engage propperly..... cleaned it all up, lubed it all back up and reassembled. Works like a charm now!! :D So yes, dirty fluid can have a HUGE affect on how well a hillard type clutch functions!!!! :fing02:

Good Luck!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Excellent, like I said, I will work on it tomorrow night and let you know how it went!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, I disassembled both front hubs, I cleaned them very well and I changed both armature plates. I reassembled them and put Polaris fluid.

Problem is gone! :)

Thanks everyone for your help!

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Great, glad to hear it...... now you have also bonded and became one with the quad! :chairfall: :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes I guess we can say that! :)
I have learned quite a lot from you guys, so thanks again!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts