Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. I don't know how long this problem has been there but here it is....
When I'm in 2x4 and turn on the bike, everything runs great. Then I flick it to 4x4 and start the bike and blows the main fuse. But when I'm in 2x4 then start it, then I flick it into 4x4, it's fine too?!? We tore the wiring harness apart, cleaned any connections along the way, and not sure where else to turn. If I have a 30A fuse in there, it usually holds... I think we're ruleing out a short in a wire. Anyone have suggestions or had a similar problem? Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,578 Posts
what bike? what is on the 4x4 crkt? sounds like an OL not a ground fault or short.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2008 sportsman 500 ho efi
It's blowing the main fuse. When its running, it's drawing between 3 and 7 amps.

·
Premium Member
10,578 Posts
2008 sportsman 500 ho efi
It's blowing the main fuse. When its running, it's drawing between 3 and 7 amps.
ok makes sense. but when u start it in 4x4 she blows. so that leads me to believe that either the 4x4 or something else that is part of that crkt is pulling to many amps and tripping the crkt. what else is part of the 4x4 crkt. u need a wiring diagram to answer that. do u have one for ur bike? just a heads up, don't replace a fuse of a higher rating then what the crkt is rated for, on the hopes that it holds.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, it's on the main fuse CCT! That's pretty much everything, fuel pump, starter, lights....
We ruled out everything else I think.
Does anyone know what your starter is supposed to draw in amps when it turns over?

·
Registered
575 Posts
The starter shouldn't draw anything through the fuse, it should be wired to the battery. The starter solenoid should draw under 1 amp.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Look at the fuses ,,are they corroded? if so clean and di-electric grease them, also take fuse block off and look under it, Ive seen wires come loose and ground to frame.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Look at the fuses ,,are they corroded? if so clean and di-electric grease them, also take fuse block off and look under it, Ive seen wires come loose and ground to frame.
We did clean the fuse holders. I don't think we checked the main ground. I will try that tonight. Just find it weird when in a certain situation it blows!?

·
Premium Member
10,578 Posts
How quick does the fuse blow when u start it in 4x4 mode? Is it intantaneos or does it take a couple of seconds?

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
You've got a bare wire someplace. Did you take the headlight pod apart and look inside there. Think-power outlet ,also check the wires running down the stem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How quick does the fuse blow when u start it in 4x4 mode? Is it intantaneos or does it take a couple of seconds?
As soon as the motor rolls over it pops... The fuel pump kicks in and dash is all lite up, just as soon as we go to start it, it pops. I just find it weird that it will hold with a 25a or 30a fuse but not 20a.
Thanks for all the suggestions so far tho

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You've got a bare wire someplace. Did you take the headlight pod apart and look inside there. Think-power outlet ,also check the wires running down the stem.
We have the wiring harness totally apart. Lol. Looks like a rats nest right now, took all the front plastics off to get to the connectors in front. Can't find any dead shorts

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
so your saying as soon as the starter begins it blows...and never starts...just when you over amp the fuse....have you looked in the starter at all to see if any of the brush tails are shorting to housing...reason I say that I have a outboard do that...the copper wire to the brush broke and the spring dislodged and caused a short...a shot in the dark...but it sounds like what your saying as soon as it begins to crank with the reg fuse it blows an never starts..am I right

·
Premium Member
10,578 Posts
ok so now that I have a little more specific info and let me make sure it is correct, with a 20A fuse (the correct size) as soon as u roll the starter she blows? now if u over amp the fuse say 25A or 30A it will hold. and this all occurs when the toggle is switched to 4x4. if this info is correct I am inclined to think it is an over amperage condition. there is a load on that crkt that is drawing to much. I would start by cleaning all the connections on that crkt and double chking ur grounds.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
let me ask you this....if you put it in 4x4 and turn key on and not start does it blow...if no..does it blow when you try to start it in 4x4 mode....what about 2x4 mode whats it do...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so your saying as soon as the starter begins it blows...and never starts...just when you over amp the fuse....have you looked in the starter at all to see if any of the brush tails are shorting to housing...reason I say that I have a outboard do that...the copper wire to the brush broke and the spring dislodged and caused a short...a shot in the dark...but it sounds like what your saying as soon as it begins to crank with the reg fuse it blows an never starts..am I right
No... It's only when you start it in 4x4. But if its in 2x4 while starts normal.. Once it's on, 4x4 works

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok so now that I have a little more specific info and let me make sure it is correct, with a 20A fuse (the correct size) as soon as u roll the starter she blows? now if u over amp the fuse say 25A or 30A it will hold. and this all occurs when the toggle is switched to 4x4. if this info is correct I am inclined to think it is an over amperage condition. there is a load on that crkt that is drawing to much. I would start by cleaning all the connections on that crkt and double chking ur grounds.
Yea, that's right, we started cleaning connections along the way was we checked all the wires... But we're only on the front half of the bike now... We will keep checking and cleaning and see if that works! Thanks

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
ok i was a bit confused...lol....i thot when you try to start it blows...so it does run in 2x4 mode

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok i was a bit confused...lol....i thot when you try to start it blows...so it does run in 2x4 mode
Haha. Sorry very hard to explain things over the computer for me lol. Oh, I'm loosing my mind and getting more confused the farther I get into it

·
Premium Member
10,578 Posts
once that chks out I would focus on the 4x4 switch.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts