Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe that I blew the head gasket on my 01 Sportsman 500 HO yesterday. What all should I inspect while in the process of replacing it? I think that the damage was already done when I bought the machine, the thermostat was stuck shut, the previous owner thought that the fan was the problem.

·
Registered
601 Posts
What makes you think you blew the head gasket? smoke out of the exhaust? Antifreeze in your oil???MUDDIE49?:dunno:

I'd replace the Thermostat and check the fan and sensor...before ,i'd start to pull the head off...I need more info ...

·
Registered
108 Posts
I would have to agree. More information. What does the radiator look like? is it packed with mud/grass/seeds? Did your fan kick on while riding or does it overheat quickly? The more information you throw at us, the better we are able to help you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The fan works and was running when the big ploom of smoke/steam that smelled very strong of antifreeze appeared. I had already taken the thermostat out and removed the guts and put the housing back in before this problem took place. I think that the damage may have already been done when I bought this machine. The guy that I bought it from had the fan hard wired b/c he thought that it was causing the overheating problem, after I rode for a little bit I decided that it was the thermostat and not the fan. I took the thermostat out and put it in boiling water and it only opened about an 1/8 of an inch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just replaced a head gasket on a 98 sportsman 500, it was blowing compression into a water jacket and causing the radiator to shoot out coolant. Something you might want to check.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello. What are the torque specs for an 1997 Xpress 400 on the head gasket. And do I need any sealant on the gasket for the head at all??? Please help...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also having problem 2003 Sportsman 500 HO fan not kicking on, i connected straight power to fan and worked fine,changed sensor and flushed and cleaned radiator and antifreeze is blowing out top of over fill cap?? Is this a possible head gasket HELP

·
Registered
81 Posts
CDI replacement for fan not working

Polaris had a bad batch of C.D.I.'s for the Sportsman 500 H.O. (and some others) the C.D.I. did NOT turn the fan on when the temp switch told it too, it could cause overheating. Polaris had a recall of these C.D.I.'s free of charge.

Contact your local Polaris dealer to see if your 500 is one of the recall C.D.I.'s fix it now or it will drive you crazy!!

Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
got a 2012 polaris ranger 500 put new engine in it 3 months later wont stop over heating. runs good for about 5 miles then starts shooting antifreeze out the over flow tank. replaced water pump propellar,thermostat,electric fan, and radiator. now i am guessing head gasket but i am getting good compression and no water in oil. any ideas what to check and how

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also having problem 2003 Sportsman 500 HO fan not kicking on, i connected straight power to fan and worked fine,changed sensor and flushed and cleaned radiator and antifreeze is blowing out top of over fill cap?? Is this a possible head gasket HELP
Having same issue...fan wouldn't turn on until I jumped sensor. Coolant overfill tube melted also. Replaced tube but discovered "mud" in radiator, overfill, etc. Now getting boiling coolant in overfill and coolant blowing out overfill cap.
Blown head gasket?

·
Registered
10,036 Posts
Sounds like a bad head gasket to me - the 500 was notorious for it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts