Polaris ATV Forum banner

Blown motor 07 sportsman 700

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Xploder 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. New to the forum and have a few questions I was hoping to get answers on. I have an 07 700 and I managed to run the oil low and tear up the crankshaft and a few other components. My mechanic wants $3400 to rebuild it or I can get a used motor for roughly $2000. Mine only had under 100 hours unfortunately.

I'm at a loss on what to do. Rebuild it or get used motor. I also ponder the idea of tearing it down myself. I'm a contractor and grew up in mechanic shops. I'm not saying I'm qualified I just know my way around. Is something like this fairly simple. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

#2 ·
In my opinion the rebuild isn't that hard. Just go slow and take a lot of pictures. I would start by doing a search on here here for the service manual. You can download for free. Take a look at it then decide. MAY save you a ton of cash.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Thnks guys. I obviously want to save money so its really between used or me rebuilding it.. I'm a little concerned about not have certain tools or not replacing a part that should be replaced. I would assume that if I'm replacing the cam I should get a better one. Any suggestions on a place for parts

#6 ·
I'd try to rebuild it. It's not that big and you don't have all the transmision parts to deal with like a Honda. I've never done one, but I can't believe it's that hard. Give it a shot, you've got nothing to lose. However you may find it needs $2K worth of parts. The crankshaft kit is upwards of $800. You might also need bearings, piston, oil pump, etc. Probably need to machine the cylinder too. Kind of depends on what you were doing when it siezed. If you were racing along at 5000 rpm and it just stopped I would expect the damage to be excessive and expensive. If it was just sitting idling it might not be too bad.

#7 ·
It never seized up. Just had a loss of power and very bad knock in the motor. At idle the knock wasn't to base but increased when rpms climbed. Your very right though I have nothing to lose my breaking it down. Apparently the mechanic said some housing was cracked not sure what. I plan on picking it up...in prices probly in a few days.

#8 ·
I'd give it a shot. You might be able to rebuild it yourself for less than a grand. You'll just need to get the manual and take your time inspecting every bearing, machined surface, etc. You don't wan to miss something. If part of the case is cracked that might get expensive. Keep an eye on Craiglist for somebody parting one out. You might get a deal.

#12 ·
Parts for me to fix it is 1800. I can buy the x2 motor used for 1600 just not sure if it will fit or theres a company in Iowa I can send my motor to and they will rebuild it for $2000.

My opinion is it stupid for me to do it.

#15 ·
only try the rebuild if you feel you have the time and patience. If you have other commitments and trying to do this in the middle of other things, it can become stessfull.If you have the time then it becomes fun. Just my 2 cents. Good luck either way.:veryhappy:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.