Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am stumped!
I have a 94 Polaris 400l 4x4 and it starts up and idles great, good response till about half throttle and it bogs down. In neutral i can rev it up and it will come out of it, but when in gear continues to bog down after half throttle.

I have rebuilt the carb and set the settings back to factory on the air adjustment.

Just stumped, any help greatly appreciated:).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Still sounds like dirt in carb.It took me 3 trys to get the carb clean on a 450. It was the main jet on mine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ill take another look but I originally thought this was the case and yet to find any dirt in it.
It actually was pretty clean to start off.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
take a wire bread tie an fun it thru the orfices then blow it out an flush them.. i use a can of air when working on the bench to clean a carb..then the compressor to do after i think its cleaned out...its just easy with the can of air with the nozzle...and use the nozzle with carb cleaner also....

i read an article where using lemon juice in a pan...heat it up to a boil then add carb to solution...then simmer..it cleans it like new...read on it....my next cleaning will be this way...no joke...loll

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im going to try cleaning the carb again this evening.
Any other thoughts on what we cause this since I will be working on it anyways

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Since you have no fuel pump, you should unhook the fuel hose at the carband have good flow, just to make sure the fuel shut-off isn't doing something goofy or gummed up.
Could check the coil wire and spark plug cap< they do go bad.If you have an ohmeter, the cap itself,should test at 5000 ohms, coil wire and cap together-11300.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks 4getful2, I have checked the flow and all seemed well. I tested the cap and it came in around 4900 ohms will check the wire tonight.
Pulled the carb and went through it again, there was no foreign material in it.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Did you change the main jet at all? Check for air leaks in carb boots or air cleaner housing. Cover might not be seated right. Usually when they won't rev up its a lean condition.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I replaced the main jet, I visually checked the air box, and rubber connections and didn't find any tears etc

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I use a set of pin gauges. Maybe you have a set of really small drill bits? Something to see if the hole in the center is the same size. Or just put the old one back in if you have it and try it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I pulled the carb cleaned all the offices blew it out and replaced the main jet with the one i removed and no improvement, if anything appeared to make the problem worse.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Should be a 200 main jet in it. At this point my only guess is the float level is off or you have an air leak. Spray carb cleaner around all the boots and seals while it's running and see if the idle changes at all. If that doesn't find anything then I'm stumped.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well to update, I changed the jet back to the 200, installed a new fuel filter and I am know a little closer to a fix.
It know will rev up out of gear, while in gear when i hammer it down it starts to bog out pulls out of it and around 3/4 throttle it cuts. Best way to describe like I am turning the fuel on and off
Any ideas??
Again I appreciate all the response in trying to help me solve this mind boggling issue.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Maybe an entire carb kit rebuild with all new jets and o rings. If it sits for any long periods the jets can build up a tarnish that makes them smaller. So while they appear free and clear, the actual hole diameter has shrank. I can't imagine a rebuild kit would be more then 25$-35$. My .02

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I did do a carb rebuild. It was suggested to put the old jet back in and see how it ran.
Didn't help so I replaced it with the 200.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Tang for the floats not adjusted properly????

1 - 20 of 24 Posts