Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on Facebook the other day and and guy claiming to be a gold service tech for polaris posted saying he'd and and questions he could. He was asked about the gas boiling and excessive heat from theses bikes and his answer was low octane gas. Any thoughts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Baloney. Regular gasoline might have a slightly lower boiling point. A couple of degrees at most. And it's going to vary more based on the refiner than the octane. I looked at a half dozen different refiners and octane ratings and they all had boiling points from 90-95 degrees F.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't buy that either. I don't know if it's timing or the afr is off but would think it could be fixed fairly easily by polaris

·
Registered
483 Posts
Mine boils on hot days and I always use 93 octane... not because the quad needs it, but because I use that gas can for my streetbike as well and it needs 93...

·
Registered
177 Posts
Mine was boiling around 40 degrees.
Uhh...gasoline doesn't boil at 40 degrees, unless it's in a vacuum. I assume you mean it was 40 degrees outside. Something is heating up the fuel. Presumably it's the exhaust system.
Unless he was talking Celsius, which would put it at 104 F so it should be boiling like mad...:biglaugh:

Reactions: RoyR80

·
Registered
257 Posts
The big problem is when the gas gest to hot the pump will pump vapor and the engine will stop. That is my problem now and need to replace the pump. The trip over the 4th 2020 the bike would quit running. stop and add as little as 1 quart of gas and the bike would start first try.

·
Registered
19’ 850SP Camo. MtAiry Maryland
284 Posts
Actually the ethanol in today’s fuel lowers the boiling point and makes vapor lock a serious problem. If you can obtain Pure Gas (non ethanol) you and your machine will be SO much happier! It will raise the boiling point considerably and it will run smoother with more miles per gallon.

·
Registered
257 Posts
The bike does not need non-ethanol and it will not raise the boiling point enough. The less gas in the tanke the hotter the fuel gets. My bike is 20 month old with 3300 miles when the vaporized gas started to have a problem. Adding just 1 quart would lower the temp just enough to stop the problem temporary. If you increase the pressure the boiling point will go up not down.

·
10,681 Posts
Alcohol and the water it draws along with heat will kill your fuel pump in short order. I had to replace my pump with a Quantum while in base camp at Taylor Park this year lol. I bought the Quantum pump kit shortly after getting the machine two years ago but had never installed it. Bought it on the recommendation of other forum members who had already had to replace theirs much sooner. I use non-alcohol fuel and got 3000 miles out of the OEM. IIRC they don't have non-alcohol fuel available and had to replace theirs within the first 1000 miles. I'm just glad I pitched the new pump kit in with my tools and spare parts on a whim while packing up for the trip. Third day of a two week trip it quit about half way up a mountain. I would have been a very sad camper after driving 1400 miles to get there had I not had a new pump in camp lol. With a good helper, it only took a couple hours to install while enjoying a few cold brews. The rest of the trip went flawlessly. (y)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Alcohol and the water it draws along with heat will kill your fuel pump in short order. I had to replace my pump with a Quantum while in base camp at Taylor Park this year lol. I bought the Quantum pump kit shortly after getting the machine two years ago but had never installed it. Bought it on the recommendation of other forum members who had already had to replace theirs much sooner. I use non-alcohol fuel and got 3000 miles out of the OEM. IIRC they don't have non-alcohol fuel available and had to replace theirs within the first 1000 miles. I'm just glad I pitched the new pump kit in with my tools and spare parts on a whim while packing up for the trip. Third day of a two week trip it quit about half way up a mountain. I would have been a very sad camper after driving 1400 miles to get there had I not had a new pump in camp lol. With a good helper, it only took a couple hours to install while enjoying a few cold brews. The rest of the trip went flawlessly. (y)
That was a pretty freaking smart plan you executed...impressive

·
10,681 Posts
LOL... Nah, smart would have been replacing it BEFORE leaving home. I think it may have been Devine intervention or something. I picked it up off the work bench while packing the tool/parts kit and thought... "I won't need that" and then a little voice whispered in my ear and said, "You have plenty of room in the box and should take it just in case." Turns out, the little voice was right on the money. :unsure:

·
Registered
284 Posts
LOL... Nah, smart would have been replacing it BEFORE leaving home. I think it may have been Devine intervention or something. I picked it up off the work bench while packing the tool/parts kit and thought... "I won't need that" and then a little voice whispered in my ear and said, "You have plenty of room in the box and should take it just in case." Turns out, the little voice was right on the money. :unsure:
Yep, and not many would’ve replaced it before it failed. And not many would’ve brought it with them either! 🥴

·
Registered
284 Posts
I just put Pure Gas in my 1993 craftsman lawn a tractor with a Kohler 23HP V twin and the idle raised so much I’m going to need to lower it.
I’ll never use 10% ethanol again if I can avoid it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I’m getting ready to go in fuel pump #4 on my 2016 570 SP. Luckily my last quantum was under warranty. I even put on the metal heat shield and the last one lasted a couple months. Any advice would be helpful as I love the bike. Unfortunately, if I’m still at a loss I’m going to sell and get an outlander.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts