Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my brother inlaw decided to change his own oil on his 2001 sportsman and he screwed up big time.

He drained the oil out of the crankcase and changed the oil filter. He then attempted to put 2 quarts into the crankcase through what appears to be a fill hole.

Well that didn't work to well as the first time he pulled the pull start oil came out of it. thank god it didn't start!!!

So what did he screw up and how can I correct this? Can I just drain the oil out of the crank case, drain the oil tank and refill with the 2 quarts or did he end up putting 2 quarts into the transmission when he put the oil into that fill hole on top of the crank case???

He lost his manual so that was his excuse for not knowing about the oil tank.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have 2001 sportsman 400. you have not screwed too much. there is a recoil drain on bottom of recoil housing above front propshaft you need to remove. you might want to remove right foot rest and all of recoil assembly to clean oil off inside of recoil. the way to drain engine oil is to remove plug on bottom of remote oil tank by left front tire. drain oil when done turn starter over a couple times if it starts just turn it off. that gets the 1/4 to 1/2 cup out of engine crankcase. then fill remote oil tank with oil. I bet a lot of people have been confused on this engine.

still drain crankcase, do not remove hose on back of oil tank or you will have to prime pump

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I fixed it. He put the oil in the pull start. Drained it out no problem and changed the oil properly.

Now we has a well lubed pull start!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts