Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe its a 1998. I paid 400 for it. Has all plastic in great shape. Got free bendix gear and starter. Seems chain broke and broke into the flywheel. Someone remove the pull start. Am guessing broke fly wheel spots. Broke front sprocket and middle chain is broke.

But a 2 stroke sportsman? I know Xplorer is 2 stroke and also 90 scambler. So why did they make a Sportsman can someone clear this up for me :ponder:

Here some picture below. I have a 96 sportsman 500 I been working on but seems camshaft and exhaust rockerarm are gone. Only thing left I can think it is.

ANY INFO OR MODS OR UPGRADES PLEASE SPEAK!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Long before Polaris had 4 strokes, all their quads were 2 stroke. The 400 is a stout engine and very powerful (35hp). The 3 chain system can be maintenance nightmare but still works good. Looks to be 1994-1997

Just got done rebuilding mine

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I ran the vin and it came up as 97. Any mods? Clutch upgrade? So on. How do I look for those? I hear they have a lot of power since its a 2 stroke.

I remember I had a old popo believe it was a 300 trail boss or something 4wd on demand but it was 2wd and 4wd switch. How much better is the awd?

I can't afford a polaris 850xp or can am 1000 xxc. So I was looking into scrambler with tran swap. But am hoping this is more power less headache.

Plans on clutch upgrade. Tire and Rim combo. Custom Paint. 6" lift kit?? Snorkel kit. So on

·
Registered
14 Posts
Clutch mods can really wake them up. A pipe is one of the biggest bang for the buck upgrades. A pipe, reeds, and proper jetting will push to 40+ and with the proper clutch kit you would have uncontrollable power.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Clutch mods can really wake them up. A pipe is one of the biggest bang for the buck upgrades. A pipe, reeds, and proper jetting will push to 40+ and with the proper clutch kit you would have uncontrollable power.
I was thinking exhaust would be a big gain. I can buy rejet kit.

Any links to upgraded clutch? Also can the sprockets be changed for a different gearing? i figure it would be drop 13t to 12t or 11t even?

Any links would be greatful. i heard the motor are beast. hows the awd?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts