Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last year around this time I bought an 08 Sportsman 500 EFI X2. This is the first ATV I have ever owned or ridden. The machine has randomly shut off a few times. After the most recent snow fall we had here in Pa, I am ready to get rid of the machine.

I was all set to go plow with the quad, made it 6 feet out of the garage and it shut off and would not restart.

I spent 4 hours snow blowing my property and the property of my elderly next door neighbor.

I got the machine started later in the day and was able to get it back in the garage.

I did some snooping and I believe it to be a loose wire coming from the key switch.

Tired of working on it more than riding it! If I had known then what I know now from reading posts on this forum, I would have asked a few more questions before saying yes to it.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
When I bought my machine used (private sale) first thing I did was change fluids..and go over every electrical connection an grounds...cleaned an grease them with di electric...it seems most problems stem from electrical...not saying I wont have problems later..but good maintance stops lots of problems......if you think its the the ignition switch clean it good an re plug it in...if not starting wiggle each wire to see which one it is..also do it while running to see if it cuts out....electrical is the gremlin of ATV's it seems....

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
When I bought my machine used (private sale) first thing I did was change fluids..and go over every electrical connection an grounds...cleaned an grease them with di electric...it seems most problems stem from electrical...not saying I wont have problems later..but good maintance stops lots of problems......if you think its the the ignition switch clean it good an re plug it in...if not starting wiggle each wire to see which one it is..also do it while running to see if it cuts out....electrical is the gremlin of ATV's it seems....
Great advise right there......

My question...... does it have a key chain attached to the key? If so remove it!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My question...... does it have a key chain attached to the key? If so remove it![/QUOTE]

It did, but it has been removed. Thank you for the advice.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
al53 I am in the process of checking wire by wire right now. Thank you also.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Stan get a can of Caig de oxit...best product for electical connections....

Hosa Technology D5S 6 Caig Deoxit Contact Cleaner Aerosol 5oz Spray D5S6 | eBay

every plug an connector you unplug...spray it....then use di electric before connecting...this will save you future problems....Polaris #1 problem ELECTRICAL...clean all chassis grounds....clean POD connections good..and seal them after...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Polaris does not recommend di-electric on sealed connections as the grease can open the seal and allow contaminants to enter the connector. "Right out of the service manual."

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I dont spoon it on...just barely a skim coat on the contacts....I can see what polaris is saying..I seen some squirt fill a plug..wrong way doing it..less is best

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I have located the problem, two of the wires coming from the key switch have broken right in the area of where they get close to the steering column.

Upon further inspection I have located a third wire that has a broken casing on it, It will also be repaired before I put the machine back together. I will try to get pics up today or tomorrow.

Is this normal for wires to break or is my machine junk ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts