Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last deer season one of our group purchased a ‘99 Polaris 6x6 for tasks on the farm. Nice good clean used machine. A deer was shot and naturally he want out to retrieve it ..when he returned the rear brake was smoking hot and almost locked up. This is where it gets weird ..the LEFT brake handle went all the way to the handlebar, and the RIGHT brake handle ( this unit has no foot brake) which controls the rear brake was hard as a rock. We looked at it for a while, then decided to have lunch and let it cool. Got done with lunch, everything was back to normal, both brakes functioned as they should so I started investigating, all pads were free in the calipers, nothing jammed. Took both master covers off, they were down as a used one would be, but rights fluid looked really shitty.
I’m thinking now of replacing the left brake assembly and bleed the whole system
Any one got any other ideas? Thank in advance, new member. Rich

·
Premium Member
10,242 Posts
I'd start by bleeding and adjusting. Assuming the pads and sliders are good.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You are suppossed to replace brake fluid every three years. I'd put all fresh in, better to do it sooner rather than later as the bleeder valve is really easy to break, be extra careful and use a good wrench and some penetrating fluid. If you break the bleeder valve off you will likely be replacing that caliper. Taking all the gunk out with the brake fluid and putting new clean fluid in will reduce the likely hood of having to replace a brake caliper or master cylinder which is much more expensive that a couple bottles of fluid.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts