Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I have a 2006 Sportsman 500 HO and my brake lights do not work. The bulbs are fine so I'm wondering if there is a pressure switch somewhere that needs replacing and what it looks like. It's not a big deal but I would like for them to work if they are supposed to. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I think...if you are EFI it will have a PDM and no fuses.

Do they not work at all? Or are they not getting brighter when you hit the brakes?

What I am trying to say, is that they should come on dim with the key on, then get brighter when you hit the brakes. What are yours doing/not doing?

Sean

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine is not an EFI. They come on when I turn the key switch on as in the running lights work but there is no change when I hit the brakes...no brighter no dimmer...they simply don't light up when I use my brake.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Follow the brake lines to the brake line junction block in the front , there's a pressure switch on the block with red/ white and a orange wires , the red/w wire should have 12volts on it with the key on , the orange wire should have power going back to the brake lights when the brakes are applied { and key on } .

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey guys. I let it go for a LONG time, obviously but me and few friends started riding at night a lot this summer so i wanted the brake lights to work. I found the switch and replaced it and all is good. I now have brake lights! While on the subject of brakes...first of all I have NEW pads all the way around...but my foot pedal does not seem to work at all. I can bleed and bleed my foot pedal brakes...and they do get tight but will not stop the machine like the hand brake. Do i need to rebuild the rear master cylinder? Maybe get another one? Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
729 Posts
The foot brakes on these polaris machines don't give you much braking on just one brake setup on the rear. They are more like a utility brake. Incidentally the foot brake does not activate the brake light , Just the hand brake.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know the foot brake does not operate the brake lights. The foot brake does NOTHING really...the other day I was bleeding them and after pumping and opening the bleeder screw a few times...I noticed the pedal would sink down really slow as if I opened the screw but it was still tight...I just think the foot brake should do more than it does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
13,764 Posts
The foot brake is an "auxiliary brake" and not really meant to stop you. It only pushes on one side of the rear caliper. Its more for helping the primary brakes and to hold you still when sitting and using your hands for other tasks. If the pedal falls when bled tight you either have a bad little non-rebuildable foot MC (very common)... Or the rear caliper is bypassing from one side to the other. When traveling, lightly press the hand lever and then step on the foot brake repeatedly. If you can feel a surge in the lever your rear caliper is bypassing and needs rebuilt. If not, you need a new "auxilary brake" MC. In my experience its more likely to be the MC.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
My 2006 had a spring that held the foot brake up. ??? On mine, the rear master plunger was stuck in. Would not come back out on its own. I use my foot brake while descending. You are correct, you should feel it do something. Probably a bad rear master.

Sean

1 - 12 of 12 Posts