Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working on two bikes now. 1996 Magnum 425 and 2000 Xpedition 425. Both have the brake line from the master cylinder to the brake distribution block completely blocked with corrosion. At their age neither of these are high value bikes so I would like to repair at minimal cost. The Factory parts are $90. I don't want to compromise the integrity of the brake system but would like to avoid spending $180 on this fix. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
12,191 Posts
Remove the corrosion with white vinegar, dry thoroughly and all you are out is the cost of the vinegar and time

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. So far I've been able to clear the two front brake lines using white vinegar in a heated ultrasonic cleaner. Hopefully the rear line can be cleaned also. Don't I LOVE that DOT 3 brake fluid. Looking at flushing and going to DOT 5.1 fluid.

·
Registered
12,191 Posts
What's the difference between DOT 3, 4 and 5.1?

They are all basically the same except the boiling point is higher for 5.1 vs 4 vs 3. They still need to be changed every 3 years.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are absolutely right. I was thinking initially that 5.1 was the holy grail of brake fluids. After additional study it's the same stuff as DOT 3 & 4 formulated with a higher boiling point. So unless you are racing where the brakes generate a lot of heat it makes no sense. Fore the casual rider DOT 3 should be fine. I have to say that after all the years of using glycol based brake fluid that attracts water we would have arrived at a better solution than the silicone fluids.

·
Registered
12,191 Posts
Well now we have gasoline that attracts water - that's progress? When we start burning water without gasoline that will be progress. I was using a Silkolene brake fluid called ProRace 2000 - it's still glycol based but a higher boiling point than 5.1. KTM used mineral oil and Harley uses silicone based fluid.

But the old 3, 4 and 5.1 (completely compatible with each other) is cheap, works well and requires minimal maintenance - although it is recommended to change every 3 years, it may work well for 10 years depending on storage and use habits. Generally the brake pads need replaced before the fluid needs changed and then changing the fluid is a by-routine of brake pad replacement.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts