Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

New to this particular forum and I'll get into the section to introduce myself, etc later. Here's my ordeal. I've searched and search the interweb, found where the following has been asked, but no one yet has provided an answer.

I am in search of this "special tool" that is required in order to install the piston back into the master cylinder of a 1990 Trail Boss 350L (W908139) {several other models & years as well}. There is absolutely no way to get the beveled seal into the cylinder without some sort of tool to prevent the lip of the seal from folding. Here's some part numbers of the piston and seals I'm putting together and a link to one of many places I get parts.

Piston: 502052
U Packing Seal: 5410164

Cheap Cycle Parts

The seal is directional and putting it in the other way around makes for an easy piston install, but will not give sufficient pressure for braking. I did that earlier this week just for the hell of it. I rescued this quad from rotting away in someone's back yard over a year ago. The brakes are the final piece to fix. This and this alone is my final hurdle so I can ride it without killing myself.....lol. I have been riding it off/on with no brakes since I got it running. I've called a couple Polaris shops who said they would "get back with me" about this special tool and so far, none of called back (2 weeks ago).

Thanks guys/gals. If I am repeating this question I apologize in advance. I searched your forum and did not find it posted, but you know how those search functions are sometimes. In the mean time, I'm going to continue some creative ways to try and make the seal/piston get back in the cylinder.

·
11,161 Posts
I've never used any "special tool" to rebuild a master cylinder. Just lube the seal up with brake fluid and wiggle it in there. Always works for me. Your problem could be that after the initial application of brake fluid the seals will swell and soften and that may be causing you problems. You should still be able to stuff it in there though. Might try using a tiny screwdriver or something.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Update!

I got a response on another forum to answer this very question. But to answer polman500, I've been at this thing for a couple weeks trying all sorts of ideas. Due to how far recessed the seal is into the Master cylinder cavity, it is virtually impossible to try and work in the seal lip a little at a time. I admit, I've done many-a brake part rebuilds over the years and never had this much trouble. But for anyone else looking for the answer later, here's the info:

Tool for early Polaris Master Cylinder rebuild to install U-pack seals in master cylinders:
U-seal Master Cylinder Tool
ATV-Snowmobile U-seal Tool
SPX Polaris Tool Manual

An alternative that was also suggested was go to the later style Master Cylinder Polaris Pt#: 2050073 (replaces 2050046). I'm going to do some research before I commit either way, but wanted to share this into for others.

What did we ever do without Forums like this an others to solve our dilemma's?

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Bruce. I'll get my intro loaded tomorrow if I can find some free time.

·
11,161 Posts
Hmm, that's a new one on me and that tool is pricey for a likely one-time use. You could probably buy a good used MC for around that price. You might try to find a piece of thin wall tubing that will fit in the hole and load the seal/piston assembly in from the back end as it tappers and then insert it in the hole of the MC and pop it in with a quick rap.
Good luck and let us know what you come up with.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Update

So, since it's a Poliars special tool, only a Polaris Authorized shop can order it. I cannot as a private consumer purchase the $23 tool. What a PITA!!! I've sourced out a second hand MC (2 of them acutally) in the past few months and both required rebuilding once I got my hands on them.....Heck, as much as I paid for those I could have already purchased a new one. Lice and learn I reckon. I'm going to check with a local Polaris shop here and see if they will order the tool for me or maybe charge me a little to use the tool if they have it and simply insert the dang piston back in. Cheapest I've found for the later style newer MC is $146 including shipping. More to come.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bruce

By the way, your phrase under all your postings is the funniest thing I've ever read. I want to use it for my work e-mail, but don't think I'd have a job for long if I did that....lol

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That gives me another part number to search for as well. Thanks. I'll give them a call when I get off work. can't call them from here.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got a hold of the guy @ RV Service Tools and he had no issues selling me the tool (link above from member: al53). I should have it in my hands in 2-3 days pending any delays with all the winter weather along the East coast. About $30 with shipping costs, but hey, that's a lot cheaper than $150 for a new MC.

Thanks al53.

Roger

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
your very Welcome...they have lots of the specialty tools....glad it worked out...I got their primary clutch puller off ebay for 19.00 shipped...I got it just incase..was a good deal....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Final update for y'all.

I got the tool in the mail yesterday the 15th from RV Service Tools (OEM #2870962). Such a simple device, yet so effective. It took me literally 5 seconds to put the piston back in and install back on the quad. Now to just fill & bleed the system and I can finally ride this quad I've been reviving from death for the past several months. I'm excited!!!

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
raenglehart ..glad that link worked out for you i sent...they sell lots of polaris tools...like i said i got the clutch removal tool for 19.99 shipped...better than paying 70.00 for it..lol....now fill it up an bleed the system and ride....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can't seem to get into our PM Thread today, but I can measure the tool ID and OD and post here when I get home tonight.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
22.91mm OD
21.91mm OD at the tapered end which is milled 5mm of the full 38.20mm length
19mm ID

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts