Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do the factory brake pads include the shims? I replaced mine with EBC's, and now they squeak! I didn't recall them having shims, and have discarded the original brake pads.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Take the pads out and sand the face of the pad to remove glaze, sand the rotor in a circular pattern and file a bevel into the leading edge of the pads friction material. Did you bed the pads when initially installed?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes they were gently applied for break-in. I know it came with shims, because on my other 2019 570 with the factory pads it has them.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Bedding is not gentle application - to bed the pads and temper them, you want to get up to high speed and stop hard and fast - you want to heat the pads to near smoking and then let them cool slowly.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Slides are clean and lubed. I didn't get the brakes smoking hot on initial bedding..In the old days it was recommended to go easy and slowly let them break in (automotive from the late 80's). Looks like EBC has a different approach, probably because of the high amount of metal in them.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Technology has changed, adhesives have improved - I used to have to rivet linings to the shoes in the late 60's and 70's - I have an old Triumph motorcycle, brake linings and rivets - my problem will be finding my rivet tool that I haven't seen since about 1965 - it might still be in my Dad's old tool trunk out at the farm or my brother might have it. I'll find it when I need it. :rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts