Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in buying a sportsman touring and have a question about the whole braking system. Per another post I understand how the auto system works. My question is how good are the brakes on a hill without using the auto system. I know when I ride with a group I wouldn't want to have to use the auto system which might slow everyone else down. I don't know how comfortable I would be with one brake lever for all brakes lol.

·
Registered
170 Posts
There's always the rear brakes on a foot pedal, and it just depends on the angle of said hill, or a slight hill, the EBS works just as good as using the brakes. If you are going down some serious hills, use both, nobody will care; when going down a hill, I don't think anybody will notice that you have the EBS, only you.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
The single lever brake system works real well. The auto system works equally as well. You can also give it some throttle even with the EBS auto system to control how fast or slow you are going. Everyone in your group will take the hill at what ever speed they are comfortable with any way. You should do the same.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
must have misread something

I thought once you hit the brakes or throtle (sp) is disengaged the ebc?

·
Super Moderator
6,990 Posts
The ADC will disengage if you use the throttle. Using the brakes will not affect it. The engine brake works whenever you get out of the throttle. You can't shut it off. The single brake lever is just like the brake pedal in your car, don't be afraid of it.
Descend the hill at whatever speed you are comfortable with and don't worry what anyone else thinks.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I thought once you hit the brakes or throtle (sp) is disengaged the ebc?
With EBS, it disengages when you hit the throttle. Hitting the brakes just gives you EBS and braking ability. That is built into the primary clutch on EBS model bikes. There is a different system call ADC that is different from the EBS.

As for how good they are, I have and 850 and I have yet to fully pull back on the lever due to it having more then enough ability to make it feel like its gonna nose down and flip. I'm not a fan of the single rear brake, but since I hardly use them, its a non-factor. Going down hill with ADC is awesome cause if its really challenging and technical it'll just crawl down at idle doing less then 5 mph, a quick blip of the throttle disengages that system to allow it to pick up momentum and etc.

DO NOT EVER care about slowing anyone down while going up or down a hill. If the group you ride with does, then find a different group as safety is obviously not their priority. A good group will let people go up and down one at a time (depending on terrain) and make sure everyone is safe and responsible. Besides, is saving a minute or two really going to be worth it if you wreck due to going faster then your skill ability? Injuries aren't cheap :cowboy:

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
okay

so what turns the adc on, in the pics i have seen I can't see a button although Im sure there is one. By the way this is great information, I now understand how both of those work. Not to worry safety first is allways my moto. If in doubt I allways let the wife try it first lol.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so since i have you folks here are any of you touring riders (2 up) if so how do you find them going uphill? does the front get light pretty easy or is the weight distribution such that it isnt much different than a one up

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
so what turns the adc on, in the pics i have seen I can't see a button although Im sure there is one. By the way this is great information, I now understand how both of those work. Not to worry safety first is allways my moto. If in doubt I allways let the wife try it first lol.
If your model has it, it'll be on the 4x4 switch, right handle bar like B.Sutton said. It'll say ADC 4x4, 4x4, 2x4. When you select ADC it takes 4 things to make the ADC engage. On an 850 they are:

Active Descent Control (ADC) System
The ADC system allows engine braking to all four wheels when the
vehicle descends a hill or incline. Always move the 4X4 switch to ADC
4X4 before ascending or descending a hill.
Engaging Active Descent Control
The ADC system will automatically engage when all four of the following
conditions occur:
• The 4X4 switch must be in the ADC 4X4 position
• Vehicle speed must be 15 mph (25 km/h) or less
• The throttle must be closed (throttle lever released)
• The transmission must be in gear (high, low or reverse)
Disengaging Active Descent Control
The ADC system will automatically disengage if at least one of the following
conditions occur:
• The 4X4 switch is moved out of the ADC 4X4 position
• Vehicle speed exceeds 15 mph (25 km/h)
• The throttle is open (throttle is applied)
• The transmission is shifted to neutral or park

1 - 10 of 10 Posts