Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a new 2022 570 Trail. First time unloading it and going for a ride, the display flashes and reads “release brakes”. Diagnosed and found brake switch down by pedal is sticking on. I can start it without touching the brakes and brake lights are on. Called local dealer and they are 3 weeks out for repairs. Oddly the factory is out of stock for the switch. “Must be having issues elsewhere”. Ordered a switch online. Not sure if anyone has seen this. Most people post of the switch not coming on. Anyone have insite on the best way to bleed the brakes after the repair?

·
Administrator
18,198 Posts
My supplier does not indicate a back order on switch 4019316, but it is $76 - I have never seen a hydraulic switch stuck on - do the brake lights turn off if the switch is unplugged?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes the brake lights do turn off or go dimmer I should say when it’s unplugged. The trail version has led all the way around and they turn on when the key is on. When plugged in, they just blink when I grab and release the brake. I had someone watch the tail lights when I disconnected and reconnected the plug multiple times. Each time it is plugged in, they go brighter. Strange that the switch is stuck closed. I checked the reservoir as well and it was not overfilled.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya it’s fairly basic. I’m just not sure if it’s under pressure constantly or what the issue is. I’m going back out and loosen the fitting tonight and ohm out the contacts. If the drop in pressure resolves it, there must be an issue elsewhere.

·
Super Moderator
15,147 Posts
Sounds like probably just a bad switch. If pressure in the line was doing it, your brakes would be on dragging all the time. You didn't mention anything like that going on.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Under warranty.
Ya it’s warranty but they are 3 weeks out till they can get to it, and I’m heading out of town next weekend with it.
Sounds like probably just a bad switch. If pressure in the line was doing it, your brakes would be on dragging all the time. You didn't mention anything like that going on.
Your correct. I checked that the first trip around the block when it popped up on the display. None of the brake rotors were hot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’ve had same issue in a sportsman 570. Brake lights staying on and flashing release brakes. Brakes are not stuck on. Can’t see a switch all
appears to be fluid driven. Perhaps you could post picture ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you lay underneath the bike it’s about a foot in front of the right rear tire mounted above some brackets. I removed the right panel off above and behind the brake pedal. That’s probably the best way to access it to remove it if necessary.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My supplier does not indicate a back order on switch 4019316, but it is $76 - I have never seen a hydraulic switch stuck on - do the brake lights turn off if the switch is unplugged?
Where can I order that part? The place I attempted to order it from showed they had some available but after I placed the order they said they were not available until the 26th. I need to see if I can get it before next weekend. Thanks.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Where can I order that part? The place I attempted to order it from showed they had some available but after I placed the order they said they were not available until the 26th. I need to see if I can get it before next weekend. Thanks.
This is just an idea..I take no responsibility..Maybe connect a remote starter switch (like this 12V Remote Starter Switch) across the brake switch (since it's only 2 terminals of normally open). When you want to start the ATV, hold down the switch and release when it's running!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I got the new switch. I climbed underneath the ATV and took the covers off. That’s when I realized that the rod going to the master cylinder is not contacting the brake pedal. It’s like it’s stuck inside the master cylinder so I may be taking this in for Warranty after all. I’m assuming that Rod supposed to be contacting the pedal.

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
12,881 Posts
Well I got the new switch. I climbed underneath the ATV and took the covers off. That’s when I realized that the rod going to the master cylinder is not contacting the brake pedal. It’s like it’s stuck inside the master cylinder so I may be taking this in for Warranty after all. I’m assuming that Rod supposed to be contacting the pedal.
Pictures?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Pictures?
Well I loosened up the foot rest and removed the master cylinder but left the lines attached. I put some rubber around the shaft and pulled on it with a pair of vise grips just a hair, I’m not really sure what was wrong with it before but it’s working great now. Apparently the switch wasn’t the problem, I just didn’t see the rod at the time I was messing with it.

·
Administrator
18,198 Posts
Sounds like the master cylinder piston was hung up - must have been minor since you pulled it out and it's now working.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts