Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have about 100h / 800mi on my 2012 Sportsman 500. I figured it was time to check out the brakes. Found the rears metal to metal, and the front not far behind.

Headed over to the dealership and picked up a set. Fairly easy to change.

Then i started feeling around..I was shocked to find olay in the wheel bearings already. Anyone else finding play in there bearings?

All 4 wheels seem to have equal play. about 3/8" on the hub only (Wheel removed).

Is this normal wear?

I called my dealer and they are trying to sell me All Balls replacement kits. I havent had great luck with All Balls products in the past...Is there a better option? Maybe a better quallity Bearing than the OEM?

·
Registered
247 Posts
pivot works or bearing connections. But all balls is supposed to be okay?

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
So, I have about 100h / 800mi on my 2012 Sportsman 500. I figured it was time to check out the brakes. Found the rears metal to metal, and the front not far behind.

Headed over to the dealership and picked up a set. Fairly easy to change.

Then i started feeling around..I was shocked to find olay in the wheel bearings already. Anyone else finding play in there bearings?

All 4 wheels seem to have equal play. about 3/8" on the hub only (Wheel removed).

Is this normal wear?

I called my dealer and they are trying to sell me All Balls replacement kits. I havent had great luck with All Balls products in the past...Is there a better option? Maybe a better quallity Bearing than the OEM?
Any bearing supplier should he able to cross them over to a Timken part number. Take them with you.

If you do, could you post the part numbers for us please?

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Make sure they are torqued right before you just go replace them. The fronts are 70ft lbs and the rears are 80 ft lbs. Sometimes they work a little loose and putting a fresh torque on them helps. Most bearings have some play in them especially the larger size bearings Polaris uses.

Ronnie

·
Registered
247 Posts
Make sure they are torqued right before you just go replace them. The fronts are 70ft lbs and the rears are 80 ft lbs. Sometimes they work a little loose and putting a fresh torque on them helps. Most bearings have some play in them especially the larger size bearings Polaris uses.

Ronnie
Good point, and with that low of hours on machine possibly the dealer prep wasn't right.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I had to have my rear wheel bearings done at 300 mi on my '09 800. It was under warranty and the dealer did it so I couldn't tell you what they used. I have been hearing from other polaris owners that wheel bearings do seem to wear faster than other makes. Could be the weight of the machines compared others?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Ronnie

Thanks for the Torque spec. I think Ill try this out first. Going on a fall partridge hunt next weekend. So im not pulling everything apart until after that.

If i match up some timkin numbers ill definatly post the numbers.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Got any part#s for us? I'm going to be doing some this winter.

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I do. Thanks tho

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,360 Posts
i did the opposite of what the OP did. i went with OEM wheel bearings (and ball joints/tie rod ends for that matter) and EBC brake pads.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Found them for as low as 28$ each. All balls about 35$.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
13,360 Posts
i did the opposite of what the OP did. i went with OEM wheel bearings (and ball joints/tie rod ends for that matter) and EBC brake pads.
Were OEM bearings very pricey???
i know this is going to sound bad but when i buy from the dealer i just grin and take it. i know im paying to much and "it is what it is." so i just dont pay attention to the prices. at one point i was shopping around for oem parts and the online dealers are cheaper on advertised prices but when it comes to shipping it comes out relatively close. when doing research on bearings, ball joints, and tie-rod ends there wasnt a clear cut aftermarket manufacture that stood above the rest. under those circumstances i use OEM.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Were OEM bearings very pricey???
i know this is going to sound bad but when i buy from the dealer i just grin and take it. i know im paying to much and "it is what it is." so i just dont pay attention to the prices. at one point i was shopping around for oem parts and the online dealers are cheaper on advertised prices but when it comes to shipping it comes out relatively close. when doing research on bearings, ball joints, and tie-rod ends there wasnt a clear cut aftermarket manufacture that stood above the rest. under those circumstances i use OEM.
Thank you. I feel some OEM stuff is better than aftermarket, bearings included. I run many irm parts on ky truck, dome aftermarket is junk.

Will price them out.

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts