Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 17 sportsman 570. One day the brakes went out and thought it was because of pads being too worn. Changed all the pads and bled system. Still nothing. Brake handle only gets tight when I push foot brake and even then the stopping power isn't there. Any ideas? I'm torn between replacing master cylinder or the caliper. And when I push the hand brake there a swishing sound coming from the lower MC that i never noticed before.

·
Premium Member
9,931 Posts
There's a seal in the rear caliper that goes around the piston, that went bad or popped out.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Yep - need to rebuild or replace the rear caliper

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey! My handle bar brake was loosing pressure and I had to keep pumping. Found it needed fluid... bleed them multiple times.. problem continues.. notice a tiny hole in mater cylinder cap.. replaced the whole MS.. now I have to use both my foot brake and handle bar at same time n pump both till one kicks in to get brakes.. I’m torn... help... first few rides it all worked fine.. 2013 sportsman 500

·
Premium Member
9,931 Posts
Rear caliper has a seal that separates the two systems. The seal goes bad or slips out of its groove. Rebuild the rear caliper.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Hand brake operates both front and rear brakes and the foot brake operates only the rear brake - when you have to use both brakes to get brakes, it's because the rear caliper is leaking pressure to the other half of the system. Since the brake fluid was disappearing from the front MC, you will find the reservoir for the rear brake is over full. Rebuild or replace the rear caliper to fix the problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts