Polaris ATV Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
should be able to wiggle thumb throttle and feel when it starts pullin cable, 1/8 inch of slack is correct adjustment is under rubber boot about 4" from thumb throttle

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
should be able to wiggle thumb throttle and feel when it starts pullin cable, 1/8 inch of slack is correct adjustment is under rubber boot about 4" from thumb throttle
I've adjusted it a few times now, figure I must be doing it wrong? I know at one point I had it too tight, so I am just going to back it off bit by bit and see if the problem goes away.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Just found a post here that shows you should have 2-3mm from inside throttle to the throttle stop once slack is taken up. I gapped it to 2.72 and if it stalls out again, I am going to back it out 1/3 a turn to 3 and see what happens.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just an update to my problem. Everything has been good for almost a year now.
The carb float was the problem. No other issues since! Hope this helps.

My mechanic did a carb adjustment - said he had to take the carb out to make the float adjustment.
So far so good - March 2012

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Just an update to my problem. Everything has been good for almost a year now.
The carb float was the problem. No other issues since! Hope this helps.
Thanks for the update!!

Mine turned out to be a bad fuel pump, changed it and smooth sailing since.

·
Registered
33 Posts
How do you check if the fuel pump is bad? My 2009 Sportsman 500 HO EFI sputters and dies at idle ONCE IN A WHILE. It starts right up again. I'm using 100 octane fuel with no ethanol now just in case. I've also bought a new battery. It still happens. I also get a Check Engine light every so often.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
How do you check if the fuel pump is bad? My 2009 Sportsman 500 HO EFI sputters and dies at idle ONCE IN A WHILE. It starts right up again. I'm using 100 octane fuel with no ethanol now just in case. I've also bought a new battery. It still happens. I also get a Check Engine light every so often.
Not sure on the EFI but on the HO it was process of elimination. Cleaned gas tank, lines, and carb then I noticed that my fuel filter was looking whiter and whiter with each successive stall. Found that if I applied suction to the fuel line it would get it going again. Finally changed the pump and filter is cherry red all the time now and no stalls. I had already gone through the list of things people post up too like ETC, keychain, out of gas (as if that would happen) bad gas, fouled plug, air issues...none of which were the problem. Stalls were always very random too, never when doing the same thing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
well i think i have my problem nailed down, it looks like it was the electronic throttle control was loose causing the contact to touch and kill the motor under heavy vibration, fingers crossed

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had a problem with stalling on my 850xp when it was brand new. The problem was resolved but I'm not sure if it was resolved due to fixing the problem of oil getting into the filter area OR the problem may have been due to the key had a green plastic connected to it and when i made turns the plastic may have been causing the key to come out slightly which made the machine turn off.......NOT SURE WHICH OF THESE TWO, but the problem has been solved

41 - 50 of 50 Posts