Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 303 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took my brand new 2012 850 EPS XP out for a easy 50 mile ride. Right away I noitced a rather loud "wa wa" noise. Noise was so bad that I almost turned around and put it back on the trailer. After a few miles the noise diminished, but never went away. Noise comes on at 21 MPH which I can duplicate over and over and seems to go away at about 28 MPH.

Did I get something extra special from Polaris or is this "wa wa" common. BTW, this is my third Polaris and the first two were perfect from day one until I traded them in.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Mine does it as well, I've read others mention here too. I'm not terribly concerned with it. If something breaks it should be covered under my 5 year warranty.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
check all fluid levels, my rear diff had very little oil in it when new, was pretty loud, checked it right away , changed it, and actually over fill it a little and it quieted down and hasnt had any problem

·
Registered
117 Posts
Do you have the Polaris front storage box?

The reason I ask is I bought mine new and put the Polaris storage box on the front before leaving the dealer. When i got home I was running down the railroad grade over 25 mph and a deep toned whistle noise appeared. Long story short it was the front storage box channeling air somehow and making this deep toned whistle noise.

If your noise is anything like a deep toned whistle take off the front rack and drive it and see if the noise goes away.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been havig some PM's with another member who has the same problem. Thought I would add those posts to this thread. Still have the problem and am very disappointed that there appears to be no hope in resolution........all this from a brand new quad.

Hi -

I saw your post about the whinning. I just bought a 850 XP EPS. Two days ago did my first 50 mile trip. The whinning was so bad off the trailer, after two miles I nearly turned around and put it back on the trailer. Instead (it's under warrentee) I continued on. The noise diminished, but never went away. I can repeat with accuracy that the noise starts at 21 MPH and goes away at 28 MPH. Dealer sez, "bring it in", which I will do Monday.

Have you had any joy in getting this fixed? Did the oil trick in the rear end do anything?

Appreciate any input. Sounds like we have the same issue. Monday when I take mine in, my friend is picking up his 850 XP at the same dealer. I'll have some basis of comparison.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
seconf PM of three -

I took my 850 in yesterday for a dealer look-see at the whining. The quad has a total of 50 miles on the odometer. The tech (he did impress me as someone who knew what he was doing) was able to exactly duplicate the whining to start at 21 MPH and go away at 28 MPH. He changed the rear end oil and saw nothing abnormal. Oil change had no impact on the noise.

He then emailed the factory about the problem, describing it as an, "abnormal noise". To my surprise, the factory came back with two items.... 1) there is an acceptable tolerance stack and this rear end may have a noise due to tolerances close to one extreme(my words). They said it will go away by the 25 hour break in period. 2) wanted me to put about 100 lbs on the rear rack and drive those speeds. The test is to determine if if is a bad CV joint making the noise. Finally, I've been told that since this is now "documented" that downstream problems will be taken care of by Polaris. I cannot believe that this is the first email Polaris has received about this problem.

Gonna go on a 50 miler tomorrow. Hope to see some improvement in the whine.

Checked my air filter - no problem there.

My buddy picked up his new 850 yesterday. The tech drove it brand new off the delivery truck - NO NOISE!!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
three of three -

My quad is at 9 hours (about 125 miles). The noise has diminished somewhat, but is still there. It also has changed speeds at which it appears, now beginning at a lower speed. All in all I see no improvement in the problem and think it is very unlikely the the noise "will go away" as Polaris as said.

I will be going on a 50 miler this Thursday, but, as I say, I am not hopeful this will go away.

I have a sinking feeling that I will eventially have to pay someone to go through the rear end (assuming that's where the problem lies). My buddy's 850XP purchased one week after mine at the same dealer still has no noise.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Myself and a friend both bought new 2012 850XPs three weeks ago and we have about 75 miles on them and they both make that same exact noise. It has not gotten any less or any louder. I would love to know if we both have problems...I guess I assumed, since they both make the same noise that it was normal????

·
Registered
70 Posts
62 miles on mine, also hear that sound ! to me it sounds like it's coming from right hand side of quad(when sitting on it), and near or close to the foot rest, i might be wrong on where it's coming from, but i don't think it's the rear diff. and same here, it don't seem like it's getting worse as of now...but it's dang annoying not knowing what makes the noise.
if anyone finds the source keep us posted

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've had four XP850s. Three had some noise and one was very loud. The one that was loud I put a stethoscope on the rear diff and the right side bearing was making lots of noise and the left side bearing sounded normal.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well, I'm with you guys, I have a brand new 2012 850xp, it has this very annoying noise, I think coming from the belt housing, mine starts at 15mph and fades out around 30mph. I can acutally feel the noise, very light vibration in my right foot petal when its making the wa wa or womp womp sound. I have around 100 miles and 6 or 7 hrs on her. I feel better that mine is not the only one doing this, but I still feel that if you drop that much money on an atv, it should make "unknown" noises. Keep me posted on any "cures" for this "unknown" noise. HAHA. Thanks!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I did another 40 miles yesterday (5/17). Same noise, same speeds. No changes, no reduction. Like another poster to this thread said, I can "feel" the noise and it may well be coming from somewhere other than the rear differential. This is very worrisom as there will surely be a failure of some sort and it is going to happen out in the middle of nowhere.

I am very disappointed that Polaris is blowing this off as, "it will go away" when it seems apparent to me that it is not going away. Sure get the feeling that they are just trying to get the six months to float on by....

·
Registered
593 Posts
Just took my brand new 2012 850 EPS XP out for a easy 50 mile ride. Right away I noitced a rather loud "wa wa" noise. Noise was so bad that I almost turned around and put it back on the trailer. After a few miles the noise diminished, but never went away. Noise comes on at 21 MPH which I can duplicate over and over and seems to go away at about 28 MPH.

Did I get something extra special from Polaris or is this "wa wa" common. BTW, this is my third Polaris and the first two were perfect from day one until I traded them in.
I have the same noise on my 2011 850, not bad but I can hear it all the time when going over 10mph, service said it can be a normal noise, but that I could check the belt if I wanted, or bring it in.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Find a long hill to coast down in neutral with motor off and see if it sounds like the noise is coming from the rear end. Do it again..:tuschel:.. in neutral with motor running, rev the motor to see if it sounds like its coming from the belt/clutch area.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I also noticed the wa wa wa sound on my new 850 today. Comes on about 5mph and don't really notice it after 30mph. I can also "feel" a vibration on the right side....We put on about 128 miles today

·
Registered
295 Posts
mine had the same noises. i removed the rear bearing carriers to inspect my bushings so when i pulled the brake disk out of the hub one of the races came with it and i found that there wasn't very much grease in the bearings so i removed both sides cleaned it well and repacked them with good wheel bearing grease. cleaned the inner races and reinstalled them put it back together and went for a ride today hit 110km/hr and no noises from start to 110 and i also greased the shafts on the carrier while it was out till new clean grease came out so 100% grease in it was smooth and tight after. just my .02, also check the axle nut torque on the axles make sure they are torqued to proper spec. the bearings need to be correctly tightend to preform correctly and stay sealed as the inner races have rubber lips to seal the bearings from water mud and debris.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Find a long hill to coast down in neutral with motor off and see if it sounds like the noise is coming from the rear end. Do it again..:tuschel:.. in neutral with motor running, rev the motor to see if it sounds like its coming from the belt/clutch area.
I'm 99% sure mine is the belt, doesn't sound like gear lash. I haven't tried reving it while in neutral, I'll give that a try, but if it is from the belt/clutch, wonder what is causing it? Clutches not aligned properly, or like the dealer said, it can be a normal noise?

·
Registered
348 Posts
I've tried it just sitting in the garage in park and in neutral, no wa wa wa sound on mine..:aargh4:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The bearing repack may have some merit. It is the first description of a actual fix that has been posted. However, if I read the post correctly, that machine was two years old.

I must admit that I am/was leaning toward a belt/clutch problem as the culprit. But, before I jack it up and dive in, I need to get past my utter disgust of paying a large pile of money for something that I now need to take apart and fix before the 25 hour service.

The one suggestion from Polaris engineering via my dealer's tech was to load 100 lbs on the rear rack to see if the noise changes - supposedly to check the CV joints. I did that test with no change to the noise.

The problem with the "normal noise" and "it will go away" Polaris statements is that my friend's 2012 850XP purchased within one week of mine, at the same dealer, has NO wa-wa noise. I keep asking if mine is "normal", then does my friend need to take his machine in to get the noise added? There is no answer to that question.

1 - 20 of 303 Posts