Polaris ATV Forum banner

261 - 280 of 303 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
My 12 makes the same noise and I have read many posts that say its because polaris cheaped out and went with straight cut gears like in old suzukis and other older bikes. I have almost 1400 miles on mine now and it still makes the noise.
It's not hat straight cut gears are cheaper, they are stronger. I think it's the lack of any real adjustment in back lash, this setup comes with one shim to set the ring gear to the pinion and that's it, there's no real way I can see to measure or add shims or remove any to set the proper depth of the teeth, due to the split case, so it's hit or miss. I haven't ridden the 2013 yet to see if it has the same noise, I'll check this afternoon.
Not quite true:

Spiral tooth lines[edit source*|*editbeta]
Main article:*spiral bevel gear
Spiral bevel gears have their teeth formed along spiral lines. They are somewhat analogous to cylindrical type*helical gears*in that the teeth are angled; however with spiral gears the teeth are also curved.
The advantage of the spiral tooth over the straight tooth is that they engage more gradually. The contact between the teeth starts at one end of the gear and then spreads across the whole tooth. This results in a less abrupt transfer of force when a new pair of teeth come into play. With straight bevel gears, the abrupt tooth engagement causes noise, especially at high speeds, and impact stress on the teeth which makes them unable to take heavy loads at high speeds without breaking. For these reasons straight bevel gears are generally limited to use at linear speeds less than 1000 feet/min; or, for small gears, under 1000 r.p.m.[1]

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Mine has a slight wa wa , i dropped the rear gearboil at 40 oils and it was pretty gray. Changed the oil, noise is there still , but meh doesn't bother me.

Ill just need to get the big gun slip on sooner lol.

·
Registered
294 Posts
8 miles on mine and it makes the noise. I also noticed when I loaded it on the trailer tonight that the rear diff was so hot that you didn't want to hold your hand on it very long.

Glad I bought the extended warranty, even though I shouldn't have had to.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hu fricken ray! I fixed mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So, I had bought a used atv (never do this) and the engine exploded on me because the manifold from the airbox to the engine wasn't tight so I had to replace it, and being pretty mechanically minded I'm not going to pay someone to do it. But I had the engine out and though why not take a crack at fixing the sound. So I pulled out the rear diff, and as I turned the input shaft about half of the rotation was slightly harder to turn than the other half, so I marked with a sharpie on the shaft where it was harder to turn. I took it apart and there was a lot of metal shavings on the drain plug, I was just really annoyed at this point, that the seller took no responsibility for what happened :argue: and I'm out $3,500 for a new engine, so I took really fine sand paper to the gears that are actually connected to the axles that go to the wheels. With very fine grit sandpaper I took just a very slight amount of material off the slope, valley, and top of the teeth. I put it back together, and it didn't seem to be harder at any point to turn the shaft any more. Now fast forward 6 months, I finally have the motor back in, and the issues with TPS, and throttle body worked out, and it'll actually run 5 mph. And holy crap the Wawa sound is GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm guessing that it has something to do with mass manufacturing the gears, and ass the bit wears down, the tolerances change, and some of the teeth are thicker, higher, etc. than others.

Anyway, thats what worked for mine, I don't know if all the noises are from the same place, but I am happier than....Well, finally happy after having to pay for a new engine.:veryhappy:

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
800 xp? Is it a rzr?

If taking it down with some sand paper wuieted it down, then over time as it wears in, it should quiet down.

·
Registered
4 Posts
First time ate owner here, I've had a ranger 500 crew for 2 years and love it. Use the ranger around our property for utility but wanted something to trail ride with and still have a bit of utility left in it so I got a sportsman 850 xp. It's a 13 don't notice any noises but I'm a noob. Did 40 miles Friday on some rough trails and the thing is a beast. Is this problem limited to 11 and 12's?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Mine is a 13 and it does it. I don't really notice it offroad but it is pretty obvious on pavement, above and beyond the roar of the tires.

·
Registered
593 Posts
First time ate owner here, I've had a ranger 500 crew for 2 years and love it. Use the ranger around our property for utility but wanted something to trail ride with and still have a bit of utility left in it so I got a sportsman 850 xp. It's a 13 don't notice any noises but I'm a noob. Did 40 miles Friday on some rough trails and the thing is a beast. Is this problem limited to 11 and 12's?
No, my 2011 and my wife's 2013 850 XP both have the noise.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I have over 200 miles on my 2013 850 and may have heard the noise once. Anyway, I have ten hours on the quad and decided to go ahead and change all the fluids on this thing out of concern. Let me tell you, I'm glad I did. The diff oil front and rear was terrible. Full of metallic powder and nearly black. The magnet couldn't have held anymore. I'm going to change it all again in another ten hours.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I have over 200 miles on my 2013 850 and may have heard the noise once. Anyway, I have ten hours on the quad and decided to go ahead and change all the fluids on this thing out of concern. Let me tell you, I'm glad I did. The diff oil front and rear was terrible. Full of metallic powder and nearly black. The magnet couldn't have held anymore. I'm going to change it all again in another ten hours.
My front diff was dirtier than I thought it would be. I changed out at 10-15 hours as well.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have a 2013 850 xp and I noticed the noise after about 5 hours of riding it. it has also back fired 2 times and it will scare the living shit out of you when it does.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I have a 2013 850 xp and I noticed the noise after about 5 hours of riding it. it has also back fired 2 times and it will scare the living shit out of you when it does.
I think they've all backfired for a little bit when brand new. It will go away after you run it more.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
LMAO!! The first few times mine did it scared the living hell out of me too!! After about 250 miles mine stopped doing it and I'm glad lol

2013 850ho

·
Registered
460 Posts
I also would like to suggest you that you should check all fluid levels of your 850XP, my rear difference had very little oil in it you can check by yourself and fix it if there was pretty loud, checked it right away and changed it, In this way you can resolve your problem..
That must be what's wrong with my 850...I haven't checked the DIFFERENCE oil!

:rotflmao:

I know what you meant, just messing with ya! :poke:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey everyone,

This is my first post here as I just picked up my new 2013 850 XP EPS yesterday 10/15. I was really excited to get it home but unfortunately literally within minutes of unloading it off of the trailer and driving it down my gravel road at about 20mph I heard this noise. This is my first quad yes, but I know this type of noise is not "normal". It sounds like a "normal" noise of something that is not correct! I immediately called my dealer and spoke to the manager (owners son who actually sold me the unit) who at first sounded kind of confused as to what it was but then just tried telling me it was probably a normal sound and not to worry. He did say if I was that concerned to go on and bring it back probably figuring that I wouldn't bother. I was hoping I wouldn't have to anyhow given that the dealer is an hr drive from my house and I have to borrow a friends trailer at the moment until I have my own.

So after driving it some more trying to investigate the sound further, I popped onto google to do some more research and here I am. After reading this whole thread I am convinced this noise is not of normal operating sounds. It just does not make sense to me. And to agree with what a member posted earlier on in this thread, how does it make any sense that some of these people who reported this problem had their rear ends replaced under warranty and their issue was resolved? If this is a normal noise, does this now mean that these people with the new rear ends which don't make any odd noises need to call polaris and complain saying that they now need to add the noise? It just doesn't add up.

So long story short after racking my brain over it all last night, I decided to trailer the thing back this morning. I spoke again to the owners son who sold me the unit. I let him listen to the youtube video posted on page 5 which represents my noise to the T. I told him that if they tried to tell me this is a normal noise and send me on my way that I wanted it written in writing in a report that way if once I am out of my warranty period and something were to happen to the rear end I would go after polaris and file a law suit against them. He told me I was over reacting and shouldn't be thinking like that. I don't see how I am over reacting? I paid top dollar of my hard earned money for something that I expect to work and work without odd ends. Now because the manufacturer is not willing to come to terms with the fact that they may have put out a defective product I should reap the consequences and almost feel forced to buy into an extended warranty program out of fear that this thing will give out? I think it is complete BS.

So currently it is sitting at the dealer where it has been all day. They told me they would check it out. I haven't heard anything from them all day so who knows what that could mean. I am waiting to hear what they discover. At this point I am considering telling them I want a refund if they try to feed me the "its a normal noise, get over it" type of response. I believe by NYS Law I am legally allowed to cancel any contract I am bound in within 3 days of signing which would be Thursday 10/17 at 6pm. So far this has left a sour taste in my mouth. I do love the machine aside from that and in all honesty hope they can fix er up. I would be 100% satisfied then. But for me when I go out and spend that kind of money I expect Good service as my #1 priority with a good product coming in at #2. Then if the product were to fail, I can be assured that their good service will take care of me.

Hopefully I hear something by tomorrow at noon or I will be calling them to find out if they have done anything. I basically have until tomorrow night to decide If i want to keep the unit or try to fight for my money back.

Hopefully I can stay a part of this group.

END RANT

261 - 280 of 303 Posts