Polaris ATV Forum banner

281 - 300 of 303 Posts

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Soooooo nothing broke or crapped out and you are freaking out over what ppl on the internet are saying? You sound a tad unreasonable.

Like 3 ppl have had diffs blow up (who knows how they treat their machines?) out of the ton of xps on here. It all got blown out of proportion, just like the cracking frame issue.

Just chill out, ride your machine, and get mad when you have to replace wheel bearings, a arm bushings, and axles.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Soooooo nothing broke or crapped out and you are freaking out over what ppl on the internet are saying? You sound a tad unreasonable.

Like 3 ppl have had diffs blow up (who knows how they treat their machines?) out of the ton of xps on here. It all got blown out of proportion, just like the cracking frame issue.

Just chill out, ride your machine, and get mad when you have to replace wheel bearings, a arm bushings, and axles.

I'm not "freaking out" over what people on the internet are saying. I'm freaking out over this so called normal sound that MY MACHINE is making which I know damn well it shouldn't be. And a top of that the lack of care from polaris and many dealers who refuse to admit the problem or attempt to fix it. I don't know about you but I expect something to work free of problems when I buy it brand new for $10,000. I am well aware that I could ride it and not give two flying fcuks about the noise but it makes me very uneasy hearing that noise when I know there is most likely a way to correct it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Have you tried 85w140 gear oil? Used to work at a Polaris dealership and put it in several customer quads with this same noise. Helped but not totally gone

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
It seems to me since 95% of the guys on here have not had a rear diff explde, that yes you are overreating. You keep saying there is a problem! But is it unridable?

If you read the whole thread, read the part about the mass produced gears.

If nothing is even broken and you are mad, just wait until your third set of bearings, or third set of a arm busings.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It seems to me since 95% of the guys on here have not had a rear diff explde, that yes you are overreating. You keep saying there is a problem! But is it unridable?

If you read the whole thread, read the part about the mass produced gears.

If nothing is even broken and you are mad, just wait until your third set of bearings, or third set of a arm busings.
Use this as an analogy. You buy a brand new car and the brakes squeal. Is it a problem? Yes. Is it undrivable? No. Does it annoy the living shit out of you knowing that your brand new car has squealing brakes? Sure it does.

So nothing has to necessarily be broken, yet, in order to fix it to prevent something from breaking down the road.

Out of curiosity does yours make this same sound?

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
It sure did!

But after 600 miles it has gotten alot quietter, and is almost unnoticable. The rear diff oil was very dirty, so i believe its just rough cut gears.

Haven't had an issue yet!

·
Registered
8 Posts
hello boys and girls.
i dont have this sound on my 850 xp 2013 when i am driving,
but i have a wawa sound when iam standing in park or neutral.
its like a grinding sound from the clutch.
i should go to my dealer and fire up one of these 850 and listening of that sound.

·
Registered
593 Posts
hello boys and girls.
i dont have this sound on my 850 xp 2013 when i am driving,
but i have a wawa sound when iam standing in park or neutral.
its like a grinding sound from the clutch.
i should go to my dealer and fire up one of these 850 and listening of that sound.
Not the same, the noise being talked about in this thread, is from the rear end while moving, yours is a different noise/issue.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
So,.......my 2012 Xp550EPS started this noise, as well as feeling like the tires were flat spotting.
Rode it this morning with new Bighorns........no wa-wa-wah noise. Look toward the stock tires for this noise fellas.

·
Registered
593 Posts
So,.......my 2012 Xp550EPS started this noise, as well as feeling like the tires were flat spotting.
Rode it this morning with new Bighorns........no wa-wa-wah noise. Look toward the stock tires for this noise fellas.
Well you may have a different noise, but mine is coming from the rear diff.
I have different tires and the noise is still the same.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Mine has made same noise from day one. Put bighorn 2.0s same noise. If it breaks I guess then I will no. But I gave up thinking about it. Ride and enjoy.

·
Registered
460 Posts
That is good to know...My machine does the same two things noise and feel a bump, like one or more of the tires have flat spots.

I am running the crap stockers right now...Hopefully new tires in a few months will solve this.

Good info thanks faawrenchbndr!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I don't believe you had the same noise FAA. Mine for example has done it with the stockers, the ITPs, and now the Growlers...its definitely the diff.

I'm currently running a test on mine right now and need to get a few hundred miles on it to see if it has any effect....I'll report back if its good!

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Sounded like what everyone has described,.......could be something different.
Simply put, that noise is no longer present. What ever it was,.....it's now gone.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Sounded like what everyone has described,.......could be something different.
Simply put, that noise is no longer present. What ever it was,.....it's now gone.
No worries man, the sound I'm envisioning for yours with tires would be like the sound of the lifted trucks that have the overly compensating offroad tires...that never see dirt EVER. That "hum" as they drive by if you will.

Below is a video I just upload of my bike from yesterday. While I had it jacked up on all 4 corners to install the Growlers, I decided to check out the ADC system to ensure part of a different test is going well. It just happens to catch the WaWaWa noise, even though the tires aren't running down the pavement.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Wow,.......that is a typical ring & pinion noise.

I stand corrected,.........THAT is not the same as what I had.
thanks for posting the video.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Not a problem FAA! Side note though, its interesting watching the ADC utilizing the engine braking to stop the whole drivetrain so quickly. Granted its jacked up and that was only about 10-15 mph, still neat to watch lol.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
My 2014 makes the same noise...if it breaks, I will worry about it then. I just came off a 2012 Brute which had conical gears and makes a very distinct sound, so this wawa noise doesnt seem too bad...but it is certainly there

·
Registered
19 Posts
So after reading 30 freaken pages on this problem no one has come with a way to fix this!? Maybe time to try a can am!! Polaris doesn't seem to stand up for their product worth a shit! My fenders melted through into my seat and their bs excuse is that I'm using low gear! Why have low gear at all if your not supposed to use it? Been riding Polaris since I was 8 years old and the machines are getting more expensive but quality seems to be hurting. My2 cents!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I don't know if this was mentioned in an earlier pages but my 850 touring had the same noise and it was on the right side near the footwall it was the universal joint rubbing the footwall if you pull out on the plastic hard for about 30 seconds and then let go it will go away. I believe if you use the break a lot, your right foot it pushes against the plastic. the exhaust is in the same area above the foot well which heats the plastic. Which allows the plastic to bend easy and lets it go in to touch universal joint . Ihave to pull the plastic out twice on every ride probably. hope this helps

281 - 300 of 303 Posts