Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put 7 kilometers on my brand new sportsman and the only thing i am worried about is there is a knocking sound you hear when you hit certain bumps (i was rolling down a rock hill with no gas so i could hear the sound better), it almost sounds like driveshaft/ujoint slop like on a shitty 2005 i had. I also found when i backed up on ice/snow and gave it maybe 4500rpm, pressing overdrive or not, (in 2wd) it sounds like that knock over and over, almost like my reverse gear is messed,or driveshaft... I dont know maybe its supposed to be like that? I dont feel like it... scares me anyways.
Let me know if you've heard similar sounds before, I checked everything felt zero play anywhere. Just not sure if its some other part Im not noticing banging up and down ..

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I just put 7 kilometers on my brand new sportsman and the only thing i am worried about is there is a knocking sound you hear when you hit certain bumps (i was rolling down a rock hill with no gas so i could hear the sound better), it almost sounds like driveshaft/ujoint slop like on a shitty 2005 i had. I also found when i backed up on ice/snow and gave it maybe 4500rpm, pressing overdrive or not, (in 2wd) it sounds like that knock over and over, almost like my reverse gear is messed,or driveshaft... I dont know maybe its supposed to be like that? I dont feel like it... scares me anyways.
Let me know if you've heard similar sounds before, I checked everything felt zero play anywhere. Just not sure if its some other part Im not noticing banging up and down ..
When descending hills I get some belt slap, that sounds kinda like a knock. I hear it especially if I'm on the brakes. I have the EBS model

·
Registered
361 Posts
Welcome to the world of sportsman driveline chatter. It is normal and even worse on the 800's.
when descending try and keep the clutch engaged by feathering the throttle. Doing this will keep tension on the driveline and reduce the chatter.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yea it's the notorious value line knock. They all do it and you will get used to it soon, completely normal.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, thanks a lot for your responses! I appreciate it!
We just got rid of all our snow, then I wakeup to 6 inches...

Looks like a slippery ride. Anything specific I should be doing for breakin asides from keeping it under 5000rpm, not maintaining consistent throttle..?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Yea, I asked the same question about the noises coming from under my sportsman when I first got it. Its normal though, they're just a little noisy. You wont even notice it after a while.

As far as break-in, one other thing to add is to be sure to use Low gear if you're only putting around under 10mph. That'll help break the belt in properly.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
my XP makes the same noise too. always wondered if it was because of there only being one caliper/rotor in the rear or driveshaft play. never considered the belt.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I get the same thing and thought I would look around here to see if anyone had any feedback about it. I am really happy to read that it is common.
Scared me a little as well.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Yeah its normal. Like on member suggested if you can manage to keep the clutch engaged on the belt it wont make the noise. My500 only does it on STEEP decents. The 300 and 850 don't do it but they are a completely different clutch setup.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts