Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got this new ATV, it has 5 miles. It keeps stalling while going up and down hill. Up hill tends to be fine so long as I keep throttle, but it feels like the second I let up its gone. I had to roll down to flat spots in neutral to be able to restart it.

Thanks for any advice!

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How would I go about returning it to the dealer? Just show up there with it and demand my money? I want to handle it as civilly as possible. I just know that right now I have very little confidence with having the machine out in deep woods.

With a new machine I do not want to deal with being in/out of the repair shop!

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
What gear are you in and what speed are you going? if it's a fuel issue it's a warranty issue. if you're just in the wrong gear, well chalk it up to a learning experience.

·
Premium Member
2,544 Posts
How would I go about returning it to the dealer? Just show up there with it and demand my money? I want to handle it as civilly as possible. I just know that right now I have very little confidence with having the machine out in deep woods.

You will NOT get your money back. Polaris will "fix" it till the "cows come home". Who put the fuel in it? You or the dealer? And do you know it was good fuel?
Take it to the dealer and let them fix it. Hope it's not a lemon or you are going to have a long battle with Polaris. Depending on the dealer, you should have a pleasant experience.
Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What gear are you in and what speed are you going? if it's a fuel issue it's a warranty issue. if you're just in the wrong gear, well chalk it up to a learning experience.
I have tried both low and high. Same result. Very slow speed, slower than walking. I am trying to baby this thing! Also, if I was in wrong gear, shouldn't I be able to put it in park and restart it while still on the slope? I found I needed to let it roll down to a flat area before I could start it up again.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. The "just return it" option seems like a long shot. Unless I want to pay a ton of money to do a small claims court...

·
Registered
190 Posts
No one is telling you to return it, we are saying to take it to a Polaris Dealer and have it repaired, under warranty, for free.

This is no long shot. This is commonplace.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
it's an EFI machine so it's not a carb float issue. it sounds more like a fuel pick up issue at this point. how much fuel is in the tank? does it do the same thing if you go fast up the hill?

I'd take it into the dealer for a warranty fix. no cost to you. besides being away from your new toy for as long as it takes for them to fix it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
it's an EFI machine so it's not a carb float issue. it sounds more like a fuel pick up issue at this point. how much fuel is in the tank? does it do the same thing if you go fast up the hill?

I'd take it into the dealer for a warranty fix. no cost to you. besides being away from your new toy for as long as it takes for them to fix it.
Full tank of fuel. It runs well while going fast uphill. Letting off gas while going uphill makes it sound like its going to sputter and die, so I keep the throttle on.

I also realize I am a noob, so any advice is welcome. If I am using wrong gear or technique, my manliness will be only slightly degraded.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
as it's so new, I'd call the dealer and talk to them, and take it in. It could be something as simple as the gas cut off valve not being open far enough or a kink in the fuel supply line. or it could be a faulty fuel pump, or a badly adjusted throttle cable.

·
Super Moderator
7,112 Posts
5 miles on it? Why isn't it back at the dealer?

Pretty sure what vetteman is saying is that an issue like that, with a brand new machine, the dealer should be looking at it and fixing it for you under warranty. Not an issue you should need to try to trouble shoot and fix yourself.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Its no cost to you bring it IN!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Polaris 570 Stalling

Riding over the weekend and a brand new 570 Sportsman stalled out about 6 times, bike is lees then 3 months old, any idea of a fix?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts