Polaris ATV Forum banner

Brand new 2014 sportsman 400 HO clutch slipping

12K views 32 replies 7 participants last post by  Wildhorse192001 
#1 ·
Hey y'all, just bought my wife a blue 400 HO Friday, it came with a set of 14 in polaris vader chrome wheels and maxxis bighorns on it. It has 2.1 hours and 10 miles and it's slipping pretty bad when takin off in high range. It engages at about 1450 rpm or so in low and reverse but won't start moving in high until about 3,000. Do ya think these heavier wheels and tires are makin the clutch slip? Stock wheels are 12 inchers. Should I look for a HD clutch kit for it or is it just a break-in thing? Thanks for any help with it y'all!! Happy trails!!

#2 ·
First off ..I would take it to the dealer...did you go stock size or over size...did you have the wheels put on or did dealer put the wheels on before you bought it..if the dealer put them on...its there problem why its slipping...but take it there ...dont burn your belt up

#5 ·
12" and 14" makes no difference in rim size..the tires for a 12 or 14 are the same size height an width...a 26" is 26" high no matter what..a 14 has less side wall is all.....but i would take it there first..may be just a clutch adjustment....

what size tires are on it now..not rim size but tire size.....

ok seen you posted as I wrote..no 26 wont make any real difference....now let the dealer figure it out....

#7 ·
I dont believe its the tires....so use your warranty an have it checked.....and if belt is burnt say you want a new one....it should engage in same rpm forward also....or close....something is off kilter..lol....

#15 ·
I'd say you have a clutch issue, but the tires you put on are definitely much heavier than stock so you may want to consider a clutch kit in the future too, as you will likely continue to have the issue without changing something. Have them try the primary spring from a 500 in it and see if that helps if you don't want to spend the money on a clutch kit. FYI a QSC kit for the 400 is $319.

#21 ·
Ah ok. I think what I'll probably do is make the dealer replace the sheaves if they're worn or glazed now and when I get the money level back up I'll buy me a qsc kit for it. It'll be the 0-2000 elevation for 26 inch tires. I've watched several vids on clutch replacements and I'm suprised how easy it is. I've always been a good mechanic and my father in law has been an ASE diesel tech for about 30 years so I don't think it'll be any worry to do the job. I appreciate the help there bud. Pretty good reviews on them qsc clutches! Hopefully that'll get this thing squared away for a while. I can't believe it's doin this with only 10 miles on it tho. It has 2.1 hours on it lol

#22 ·
I think it was the little bit of trail and light mud ridin in high my wife did that made it start slipping. I didn't think to tell her to run it in low because I'm so used to runnin mine in high lol it has no issues eating up anything we have in high range. Mine is a 13 sportsman 850 XP HO man I love that thing!!

#23 ·
Here's one more question for ya if you don't mind... If I were to get the clutch for 27-28 inch tires with her having 26's would that make it able to handle that much more load or would that actually hurt it. Stronger the better is what I'm shootin for I reckon lol. If that would make it stronger then that's what I'll do for sure. An extra $100 ain't that bad for more durability!

#26 ·
May have just got a crappy belt or something.

My sled did somthing similar, found out the rollers where broke and tore up the weights to where it would not fully disengage or smoothly engage. Easy fix, you "shouldn't" have that problem but who knows. Cool thing is my sled and atv use the same clutch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.