Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning,

I just got a 2019 450 Sportsman. Took her on a 7 mile ride. With the break in period in mind of course. But I noticed my brakes seem weak to me. I have Combo brake lever on the left and foot rear.

Is there anything I can check or adjust? They don't necessarily feel soft or spongy. Just weak. Going slow down a hill (less than 10mph) It is hard to lock the wheels (not that its my intention for normal braking) and almost impossible at 20mph. Also when loading or unloading out of the pickup, the brakes could not assist to slow me down well to make a easy roll off.

Any suggestions? I may end up bringing to Polaris real quick if we got nothing. With brakes in mind, is a "slapping" "linkage" noise normal as I am braking, usually down hill, going slow?

THX

·
Premium Member
7,681 Posts
I'd try and do some controlled higher speed braking. I holes of just burning off some rotor/pad contaminates.

Other then that the pads can be adjusted.

·
9,423 Posts
You have to break in/wear in new brakes just like you do a new belt, motor and tranny.
Get going at a pretty good clip and use steady even brake pressure to come to a complete stop. Let the brakes completely cool and then repeat. You do this several times to wear in the brake pads.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks. I'll look into that. Once I got home I checked the rotors. The braking surface has black streaks on all 3. I will try to break the brakes in.

·
9,423 Posts
If you have black streaks on the discs, they may have some oil or grease on them. You might need to just get a can of brake cleaner and wash them off good.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I did that, I sprayed and managed to wipe the best I could. Lots came off actually. Next will be a few hot runs to break them in a little. Will update!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts