Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help! 2014 Polaris Ranger XP 900 bought brand new muffler and exhaust manifold. Took it for a two mile ride both were glowing so red the entire things it looked as if it was ready to start on fire. Fuel pressure proper on fuel pump was tested. Please help need advice

·
Registered
9,981 Posts
Were these new OEM parts or a cheap (high priced) aftermarket Performance Exhaust System?

·
Premium Member
10,559 Posts
Is it possible the muffler is on backwards??

·
Premium Member
10,559 Posts
The inlet is say connected to the tailpipe and outlet is connected to the exhaust pipe??

·
Premium Member
10,559 Posts
Gotcha I figured as much!!

·
Registered
9,981 Posts
Under what conditions did you observe this? Bright sunlight, dusk or at night?

The exhaust on my CRF is stainless steel (from the factory) late in the afternoon you will see it glow a dull red from the exhaust port all the way to the muffler under the side cover. Been that way since new in 04 and it does not hurt anything, but the higher the octane of fuel you run the hotter the exhaust will run.

Mild steel (typical exhaust material) glows red at 900 degrees F - tool steel at 1400* F
Here's a link to a chart indicating Steel Temperature by color

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gotcha I figured as much!!
Seems lean. But with the fuel pressure at correct level and new muffler and manifold nothing should be plugged can not figure out why it’s so lean. Burnt out 3 exhaust manifolds over the summer so we bought a new muffler along with new manifold
Under what conditions did you observe this? Bright sunlight, dusk or at night?

The exhaust on my CRF is stainless steel (from the factory) late in the afternoon you will see it glow a dull red from the exhaust port all the way to the muffler under the side cover. Been that way since new in 04 and it does not hurt anything, but the higher the octane of fuel you run the hotter the exhaust will run.

Mild steel (typical exhaust material) glows red at 900 degrees F - tool steel at 1400* F
Here's a link to a chart indicating Steel Temperature by color
It was at night in the pitch black I wish I had taken a photo but it was orange glow almost see through......like it was that bright

·
Registered
9,981 Posts
Well, you can have the dealer adjust the EFI for a richer mixture, but it will affect fuel economy - wrap the exhaust and you will not see it. I had a friend who would light a cigarette by touching it to the head pipe of his 1968 Triumph 650 Bonneville while he was running down the road at over 60 MPH - yeah the pipes glowed red at night on that old beater and when I took off the cast iron manifolds on my 65 Mustang 289 V8 and installed the Steel tube headers, they glowed too. After a run from Champaign IL to Indianapolis IN at 75 MPH, I pulled into a gas station and thought there was a fire under the hood from the glow on the pavement - raised the hood an saw the prettiest orange headers - after the black paint burned off, I had them coated with orange porcelain - it helped cool the pipes by adding mass to them, the porcelain would not burn off, but it would break off like breaking glass if water splashed on then when they were hot - the only good thing was the porcelain was baked onto the pipe to begin with, so even when it 'blasted' off, there was still some embedded in the pores of the steel and just changed them from slick and shiny to rough and dull, but the orange porcelain helped mask the glowing steel. Unlike my buddies Chevrolet's, my spark plugs were above the header and I didn't have to concern myself with the spark plug wires proximity to the header. They were constantly melting plug wires to the headers.

·
Premium Member
10,559 Posts
Chk out RVSPerformance for a tuner. Unfortunately all these machines are tuned for compliance which in turn they run lean and HOT!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts