Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a brand new 2013 Sportsman 500, the dealer told me that after 10 hours I need to bring it in and have ALL the fluids changed, front and rear diff, etc. I have never heard of this before, he said they put break in oil in everything that has fluid in it. Anyone ever heard of this?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Mine said to change fluids after 25 hours. 10 is a bit low but more changes are better in my opinion.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Manufacturers, including Polaris, do not use break in oils. They use the same oil that you will use when you buy it in a bottle.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Agreed. 10 is way to soon on awd and rear gearbox. Did mine at 50 and they weren't too bad at all.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just changed all the fluids on our 2013 550 sportsman and 850 scrambler at 25 hrs.and the front and rear diff. and the trans fluid were a completely different color than the bottled stuff and I don't think it was because of the usage.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
New oil and filter at 20-25 hours. The remaining fluids at 75 to 100 hours depending on your style of ridding. If the dealer tells you anything different he is just trying to get your hard earned money.

I would ask the dealer again. If he tells you the same thing I would find a new dealer.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Changed all fluids at 13 hours. Engine oil looked good. Frt diff, rear diff and trans had good amount of debrie on magnets. It may be early but most wear happens fairly quickly.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I don't go by the owners manual on anything I buy new,I always do the fluid changes sooner than they say.My theary is if anything is in there from manufactureing I what it out before it has a chance to wear anything out.Right or wrong that's what I do.I do everything myself so all I have is the fluid cost.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Same here mickey.its cheap insurance.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just bought a brand new 2013 Sportsman 500, the dealer told me that after 10 hours I need to bring it in and have ALL the fluids changed, front and rear diff, etc. I have never heard of this before, he said they put break in oil in everything that has fluid in it. Anyone ever heard of this?
I, like some old timers, still like to get the engine oil changed out earlier instead of later whether an actual break-in oil was used or not (and yes, there are actual break-in oils that should not be run very long). But I'm not aware of Polaris using such an oil.

The other fluids are, in my opinion, not so critical as to changing but should be checked regularly the first hours of operation.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
where

I also have a 2013 sportsman500HO and mine just turned 25 hours and I changed the oil and the trans oil. As far as a rear differential on a 500 it looks to me that the trans and rear differential use the same oil, so when you change the trans oil you're also changing the rear diff oil. Someone tell me if this is true because I see nowhere to change just the rear diff oil. I used 0w-40 mobil 1 synthetic in the engine and mobil 1 5w-20 synthetic in the trans, since this is what some members on here suggested. I have some Bel Ray hypoid 75-80w from my last atv. Can anyone tell me if this will work in the front differential. It is also full synthetic.....Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Trans and rear dif are one and the same

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I also have a 2013 sportsman500HO and mine just turned 25 hours and I changed the oil and the trans oil. As far as a rear differential on a 500 it looks to me that the trans and rear differential use the same oil, so when you change the trans oil you're also changing the rear diff oil. Someone tell me if this is true because I see nowhere to change just the rear diff oil. I used 0w-40 mobil 1 synthetic in the engine and mobil 1 5w-20 synthetic in the trans, since this is what some members on here suggested. I have some Bel Ray hypoid 75-80w from my last atv. Can anyone tell me if this will work in the front differential. It is also full synthetic.....Thanks in advance
The tranny/rear differential are one piece and 5W20 will work.
For the front diff do not use the 75-80 use synthetic ATF.

Ronnie

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
The tranny/rear differential are one piece and 5W20 will work.
For the front diff do not use the 75-80 use synthetic ATF.

Ronnie
Ronnie thanks for the reply. One more question and I'll be done, is there any weight on synthetic atf or is it all the same

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
1 - 20 of 37 Posts