Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rre-ringing my 2005 Scrambler & want to know suggestions for break in oil. Polaris engine oil is synthetic & Im not going to use it for break in.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Rre-ringing my 2005 Scrambler & want to know suggestions for break in oil. Polaris engine oil is synthetic & Im not going to use it for break in.
You would be fine with the full syn. The most important part is how you break it in and how fast you change the oil. Warm it up and then give it hell through the rpm range. Change the oil and filter within an hour. Change again in about five hours and then to normal schedule.

Did you remember to check your ring gap?

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
DO NOT use Amsoil 0W40, not enough moly in it for break in. It is formulated for atv's with wet clutches, no advantage for us Polaris riders at all.

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
The current P4 oil is 5w-50. I'd run a non synthetic as close to that as you can for the first couple hours. Then again at 5-10 depending on your use. Then regular changes after that with full synthetic.

·
Registered
526 Posts
The current P4 oil is 5w-50. I'd run a non synthetic as close to that as you can for the first couple hours. Then again at 5-10 depending on your use. Then regular changes after that with full synthetic.
When did they change it from 2W-50? Until last week I was thinking it was still 0
w-40. :)

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Not sure. My 12 850 manual says 2W-50, but the stuff I've been getting from the dealer for the last year is 5w-50. They changed from 0w-40 some time before last year. It's all confusing!!!

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
When did they change it from 2W-50? Until last week I was thinking it was still 0
w-40. :)
Last fall when they launched the new PS4 line of oils.

About half way in they give the new grade...

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
11,920 Posts
??Why not?? What makes you think dino oil is superior for break in? They come from the factory with full synthetic and it seems to work just fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts