Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rre-ringing my 2005 Scrambler & want to know suggestions for break in oil. Polaris engine oil is synthetic & Im not going to use it for break in.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Polaris uses normal recommended oil any more for break in, if your worried about synthetic oil not seating the Rings just use conventional oil of the same weight for a few hours and then change it out. There are breaking oils out, but most manufacturers seem to be just using the oil they recommend and to just change it early.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Run some 5W40 dino in there for the first tank of fuel then change back to synthetic if you are going to run synthetic.

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Polaris does use a break in oil and it is not a synthetic. They also use a different filter for break in and recommend that both get changed at 20 hours.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Ask dealers or Polaris them selfs, they ship with ps4, the brochure on the site under oil has the breakin intervals for each model for ps4

my 13 500ho I got with 1/10 of an hour and 2/10 of a mile and it had a factory spec filter.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Ask dealers or Polaris them selfs, they ship with ps4, the brochure on the site under oil has the breakin intervals for each model for ps4

my 13 500ho I got with 1/10 of an hour and 2/10 of a mile and it had a factory spec filter.
Same with my 2012.

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
285 Posts

Your dealership must not do much of a Pdi if your quad only had a tenth of an hour and 2/10 of a mile. When I used to Pdi a new quad it would take approx a half mile to burnish the brake pads and then approx 20 min or longer once the cooling fan cycles a few times.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
862 Posts
They didn't have a chance lol. I called they only had one and it was still crated and I said I'll take it, they ran through it while I signed the paper work and we went over it while it ran for the first time until the fan kicked on then they checked the levels and I loaded it up. It was clearance time and stock was low so I grabbed it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Right on enjoy your new quad! As far as break in oil run ps4 right from new if everything is at proper clearances when rebuilt running synthetic oil won't hurt break in time.

Sent from my iPhone

1 - 11 of 11 Posts