Polaris ATV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
when I rebuilt mine I also used RTV to add an additional layer of sealing protection. The starter is at a bad location for getting water in it. I also took the starter apart and sealed around the connections and the case. This is probably the #1 cause of failure with this starter. I hope you also used locktite on all the bolts. There is a lot of torque being placed on those bolts and things need to stay tight to keep water out.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
What is RTV? I have not installed it yet but I am going to get the gaskets this afternoon and will try to get it in there tonight. I will make sure to use locktite on all of the bolts. Thanks for the help. Also is there a need to drain the 2 stroke oil? Does unused oil lose it's attributes over time?

·
Registered
324 Posts
RTV (room temperature vulcanizing) AKA make a gasket. Just use a light amount on each side of the gasket before installation.

as far as the oil it's probably a good idea to remove the inline filter and lines and blow them clean with brake cleaner to make sure it is not clogged before installing all the lines. Drain some of the oil and watch to see if its clumpy. If it is drain/flush the tank.

·
Registered
26 Posts
do yourself a favor and make sure the battery is charged... then with the key and switch on...go down to the selonoid and cross the two polls with a long screw driver....the starter should be powered at that point and it should kick over....then go out and get a selonoid no caulking...it must be sealed!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Starter Solenoid

So here is what I am thinking. I have gotten the carb rebuilt and i hope that it works, but we havent gotten to that yet. I have learned that the chassis for the 1998 Xplorer has much less room to work with than the 1997 Sportsman. Installing the starter seems much more impossible on the Xplorer. I broke down and went to the Polaris of Memphis Store and the guy was very nice and set me up with everything that i needed. Including a puller to get the clutch off. Which made a world of difference. I would recommend anyone who is replacing the starter on a 1998 Polaris Xplorer 400 not to waste their time trying to do this without pulling the clutch.

Now with all of that being said i installed the clutch back per the Polaris manual, but is there anything that i should take into consideration so that nothing gets messed up in there? Just don't want an oops moment.

While trying to install the battery that i recently purchased the 4wheeler started to turn over without the key or run switch on. After scaring the mess out of me i quickly remembered that my uncle said (8 years ago) that he was going to bypass the starter solenoid so that it would work for that day. I also remember him clipping wires and such. I also found a wire with a missing piece on the end. I replaced the end but what i am realizing is that i dont know how the electrical system goes back together. The line with the missing end came from the 10A circuit breaker from the back of the battery. Should this be attached to the positive of the battery? I am going to upload some photos that shows what i have going on right now.

Right now i have the battery to the primeline starter solenoid (Primeline part#7-01860-1) then the other post to the starter. I have the lower post going to the fuse line. Here is something that i have just now found out though........I have the primeline with 4 posts (Primeline part#7-01860-1) and not the one with 3 posts (Primeline part#7-01861-1). I did not check the part number when i took it in there to them. Crap do i need to take it back? Is the only difference that i need to ground this other lower post? Does it matter which post i hook everything up to? Which side of the solenoid should go to the battery and which should go to the starter? or are the sides interchangeable?

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
OK lets see if I can explain this in plain english.....

The two large connection on the top of the solenoid are switched power for the starter. One lug connects directly to the battery and one directly to the starter. This should be a 10ga (or larger) wire probably already there it just needs to be run properly.

The two smaller connections on the bottom are what powers the magnetic solenoid switch. The one with the tab goes to the 12v+ wire from the starter switch. It should have a fuse inline and will be a smaller wire like a 16ga or less. The other smaller connection on the solenoid goes directly to a ground. This can either be a good frame ground or directly to the battery negative it's up to you.

I hope this is clear enough if not I can probably throw together a drawing of what I am talking about.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Manean thanks for the wiring advice, and also thank you to everyone else who gave me advice. Celebrate with me now.......when I have the key on and the run switch on and I press the start button the starter engages and the engine turns over. It's a small victory to celebrate.

Here is what is going on now--> The engine is just not trying to start. I checked to make sure I am getting spark to the plug by sticking a screwdriver into the rubber fitting and hitting the start button (my hair now stands straight up) i thought my hand was all the way on the handle not on the metal shaft. Nothing the taste of a mouthful of pennies. That rules the coil out and the spark plug as it is brand spankin new. I would imagine the problem now lies in the newly rebuilt carburetor that I kind if winged. I didn't know anything about screw turns out for some of the parts. I received a manual in the mail today and was par oozing it and they were able to get shit off of that carb that I thought was impossible. I am going to take it out maybe Sunday and see if I can follow the instructions step by step and eliminate this as a problem.

I feel pretty good about the way that the project has gone so far and it hasn't been too bad on the wallet so far. I might even get some free mechanic work out of the deal. The mechanic at the office that works on all of our small engine stuff, mowers, dingo, and a Polaris sportsman 500 that we use as a spray rig wants to buy an old 1986 Honda 80R dirt bike from us. Well my dad being a pack rat does not usually sell stuff but he has been known to let something walk out the door for some kind of a trade. Not a bad deal. He is a good mechanic and all I have to do is hand over a dirt bike that has not run in the same amount of time as the 4 wheeler. Sounds great I would not fit on it anyway. I am 6'5"! Well not that you wanted to hear all that mess but thought it might be nice to know that the project is going well. A lot of these threads just seem to end and no one tells what the freaking solution to the problem was. Ok goodnight!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thank you for the thread. I have little mechanical ability and no advice to give but I have enjoyed reading this thread and following your trials and tribulations along with small victories. I hope you will keep this going till the end. When you get the mechanical done you can start anew on the cosmetic and functional aspects of the ride. Who knows, you might even make a profit on it and then tackle your brothers unit --Sounds like some unfinished business there. Best wishes on the new year and please do keep us posted on your progress. It has been fun.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I would pull the spark plug and make sure it has spark. If it does try a little bit of starting fluid or a spray of gas in the plug hole before you put the plug back in.

·
Registered
20 Posts
advice

Nice thread, lots of good help here. If it will not fire I would check that fuel is flowing from the tank to the filter (shutoff valve plugged), filter to the carb (filter plugged), and carb is filling. (might be stuck float) =). Now a question. I have a 97 400L Xplorer and am considering taking the starter and bendix out to service them. I paid to have it done and have discovered the work was not done. Do you really recommend pulling the drive clutch to get the starter off? I have my machine lifted up so I can get under it quite easily. I'm only 5'7" :) I am shocked that I need to take off the recoil housing to get it off. Seems like poor design and placement. But I love my Polaris's. Minor annoyance.

Kevin

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I would by no means consider myself a novice or expert at ATV repair, but I can tell you that by removing the clutch on my 98 400L life was much simpler. Putting the starter back on did not make me want to remove all of my hair. I was so frustrated with the starter before I removed the clutch. It might be possible but I have no idea how. I will take pictures of the different chassis that I have been talking about and everyone will see how much harder it is from the Xplorer to the Sportsman. Good luck. I got my clutch puller from Polaris and it cost me about $35.

About my ATV not firing. Fuel is flowing from the tank and I believe it is flowing through the fuel filter as I have just installed a brand spankin new one. Also when I first tried to start it I had gas flowing out of the bottom portion of the air filter. Why is this?????? This is why I think I should take apart the carb and rebuild it per the manual that I have received in the mail. I didn't have time to work on it this weekend but this week should be a good time to get some of it done as my girlfriend starts her student teaching this week and will probably allow me extra time in the garage. I am having fun doing this and posting my mistakes and my triumphs. I appreciate all of the help. Also, are there bad things that could happen from removing the clutch. The guy at polaris said no just slap it back on there so that is what I have done. Let me know please before I get it started and try to move it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I am pretty sure that it has spark by removing the spark plug coil and stick a screwdriver in there as I turned it over. I shocked my hand. Is this what you are taking about? So spray starter fluid into the spark plug hole before I plug it back in? Huh? Not into the carb? This makes me feel as if I might blow myself up.

·
Registered
221 Posts
With the plug out, ground the plug to the head and crank over the engine to see if the plug has spark. If there is gas coming out of the air cleaner you could have fouled the plug. Sounds like the float could be stuck or set wrong. I would check the rubber boot between the engine and carb for cracks as this could keep the engine from pulling fuel in. You can spray the starting fluid into the carb if you want to do it that way, but hold the slide open in the carb and just give it a small shot.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Nice thread, lots of good help here. If it will not fire I would check that fuel is flowing from the tank to the filter (shutoff valve plugged), filter to the carb (filter plugged), and carb is filling. (might be stuck float) =). Now a question. I have a 97 400L Xplorer and am considering taking the starter and bendix out to service them. I paid to have it done and have discovered the work was not done. Do you really recommend pulling the drive clutch to get the starter off? I have my machine lifted up so I can get under it quite easily. I'm only 5'7" :) I am shocked that I need to take off the recoil housing to get it off. Seems like poor design and placement. But I love my Polaris's. Minor annoyance.

Kevin
You dont have to pull the clutch drive off to remove the starter. Its a pain to get the braket loose from the back of the starter but it can be done. It took me proabably 10 mins to get the two bolts off the back of the stater bracket on my Sport 400. I think it was s stupid design as well to have to remove the starter housing. But oh well. You gotta do what you gotta do!

·
Registered
309 Posts
check to make sure the fuel filter is installed correct there is an arrow for fuel flow...sounds like starter then fuel flow and ready to rock out.. good luck keep up with the updates very enjoyable as many have said. Makes me wanna buy an unrunable wheeler.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Well here is the good news everyone!!! She rises like a Phoenix from the ashes and purrs something like she is supposed to. Either way she starts and stays running. Still have a lot left to do but this is the gravy train I was wanting. The rest is getting her ready to roll. I will still have more questions I am sure but for one it is celebration!!!

Here is a little victory video I did! Check it out-->

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Also what did finally get it to turn over was to out a little gas into the spark plug hole. I also went through the process of taking the spark plug out and grounding it on some metal while pushing the start button which made the spark so those were both great advice and much appreciated. There is one issue of I had an extra part in the carb rebuild kit that I purchased from a non-Polaris dealer. I will upload a picture of it tomorrow, but it was no where in either of the manuals that I have for my atv so I said to heck with it. Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Glad to hear you got it running. I noticed on the video the air box wasn't assembled all the way it was popping a lil bit. Put it on and you will have a great running machine. Without the airbox it is getting to much air. You probably know this but I posted it for other people to read and in case you didn't. Glad to be of help to you.

21 - 40 of 121 Posts