Polaris ATV Forum banner

41 - 60 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Actually I did not know that. Thanks for all of the help. I will never turn away any kind of advice. As long as it seems legit and everything that you suggested seemed to be exactly what I needed to do. Thanks again for sharing the wisdom.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Glad you got it running! Keep us posted as you move forward on this project. I love seeing all the people on here stepping up and helping out another polaris owner! KEEP IT UP GUYS!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Glad to see you get it running. I know how it feels to finally get something up and running after you have been messing with it! What a great feeling! Now go have fun and be safe!

·
Registered
309 Posts
great man!!! good to hear it run, pretty exciting, its like a small celebration.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Thanks guys. Now I just need to fine tune that Carb. It still idles a little rough and does take some starter fluid to get it to crank. Is this just fine tuning the gas and air mixture until it idles nicely? I did put it into gear last night and drive it down the driveway and back. I noticed that in High is does not have much power at start and then gains power the higher that it goes. Is this a mixture problem or a clutch issue? Also when i put it into reverse it actually moves. I guess that this would be because of it idling too high? Also, it says that my jet needle should be set at 2.5, but it only has spots for 1,2,3,4,5. How do i install it at 2.5? I have it set right now at the 2 postion. Thanks for everything. Here are some other things that I am wanting to take care of.

* Draining front hubs (never done this before and would love any insight that you might have)
* Greasing all points on atv
* Reinstalling all plastics and cosmetic pieces (this is going to be a pain)

If you can think of anything else that might be good to do let me know Thanks

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I am having trouble with getting it to idle correctly though. I am pret sure that I have everything done per the manual specifications but I can't seem to get everything to work right. I have to use starter fluid to get it to start each time unless I have warmed it up for a few minutes or so. I will get it to idle nicely and then I will hit the throttle and it will stay tamped up until I mess with the throttle stop screw. Then it will come down but it comes down so far that I have to throttle it to keep it going. What could it be? I have the needle at 3 when the manual says out it at 2.5. There is no 2.5 right? Are there screws and such on the inside of the carb that I should have seated and then backed out a couple of turns? The choke seems to not have much of an effect on the atv starting or not. I have not gotten it started just by choking it. Could this be a float issue?

Should I just say I have given it a good run and take it in to someone who deals with this kind of stuff. My dad came out tonight and got on my case about seizing the engine or burning something up by my mixture being too rich. If you have any advice I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
There are no adjustments on the inside of the carb besides the float level. The jets cant be adjusted. They have different sizes on them. If you wanna change jet saizes you just go up or down in numbers and replace them. The choke also has no affect on the float level. Thats two different things. With the atv being hard to start I would think that maybe your compression is down a little bit causing the hard staring. Do a compression test and see what you have. Hopefully you have soming around 120 psi.

On a side note, when you went through the carb did you take everything apart and make sure all the passages were clean. Including both jets! You many need to take a small piece of wire and run through them. You need to take the idle jet out and make sure that one is clean. The orfices in that jet are really small and can be easyly clogged. If you have the carb rebuilt recently then you should have any problems taking everything back apart and checking. It takes like 5 mins to completly take everyhthing apart on the carb to inspect it. Make sure you use carb cleaner and spray through all the passages. Go read the "sticky" section on the first page of this forum about common carb issues. All the info you need is right there for you to read.

I would personnaly not take my machine to someone to get it fixed. You can tinker with it and figure it out!

Hope you get it figured out.

·
Registered
309 Posts
what raceman said is very good advice, it is definately sounds like carb problem and make sure when you put it back together to blow everything in the carb out good if you have an aircompressor. The smallest chunk of crud will mess with the carb.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I will take the carb apart again and check. I will tell you that there is one piece that came ith the carb rebuild kit that had no place to go. I will take all the parts out and take a picture to show you. It was not in the parts for the manual either.

What do I need to test the compression? How do i test the compression? What does it mean if the compression is low? Rebuild the top end?

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
You can rent a compression tester from a Autozone(CARQUEST has a tool rental program coming soon) or buy one. If you know someone who does mechanic work they might have one. Weak compression can be fixed by re-ringing the piston or by having the cylinder bored and a larger piston and rings installed. If you have to tear it down look at the top of the piston to make sure what size piston it has now.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I got a compression test kit from auto zone and it was hard ti get it into the spark plug hole. Getting it lined up and such but I managed to do it. It might not have been on there all the way but the best compression test measurement that ingot was 100 psi. Does this mean that my compression is low?

·
Registered
324 Posts
did you have the throttle at wide open when cranking the engine over?

100 is kinda low for these motors, try putting a little bit of 30wt oil down the plug hole and see if the numbers come up. If they do then you have a ring problem, if not you have a flow problem (exhaust or intake)...

sounds like it may need at least a cylinder hone and new rings, or at the worst an over bore and new piston/rings to match.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Try messing with the cable adjustment on top of the carb I had problems with mine idling high and it turned out the cable was too tight.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
I will have to look again but I think the service limit on compression is 115.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Compression Page

You are right it should be 115. This is a page from the manual that i bought. So what should i do now. I will be honest this is real discouraging. Is there a chance that i did not hook the compression tester up right and the reading wcould be off? I dont know. Also someone said something about the cable being too tight. Mine is all the way tight. Where should i have it?

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
Here is a page on troubleshooting a 2-stroke engine. What should i do next?

The thing is that once i get the atv started i am able to get it settled in and it will idle for as long as i want it to. I have had it running for 15 minutes before. The i can take off on it and it has more power than i can ever remember. When i get back and it winds down it will continue to idle. Then it will sit for a minute and maybe idle up like i showed on the tape. Maybe not thought. Either way i can come back a few minutes later and start it right back up without any throttle. Is this normal even with low compression? I dont know. I have replaced all of the vent lines but one. I ran out. Also do the vent lines HAVE to be attached to the chassis? One of my little plastic pieces broke off. The one that i have not replaced is the one with the little filter on it. I took it off and checked it and it is clear of any obstructions although i did not replace the small filter. Thanks again you guys have been lifesavers and if i can ever give you some landscaping advice i would be more than happy to. Haha

Attachments

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
You may want to test compression with the tester all the way in the threads so that no air escapes. I will have to read 2nite on the cable adjustment. I am sorry I don't know a whole lot about major engine repairs or 2 strokes. I will help as much as I can. Thanks

41 - 60 of 121 Posts