Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I actually broke my front right axle today I wasn't being hard on it.. stuck in mud but my 500 would have been fine. Its frustrating I only put 26 inch mud lights.

Pissed this happened

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Thrse threads always give me a good chuckle.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Once you are stuck you have to be a little more careful than when you are still moving through the mud. If your wheels are spinning you can still turn the front wheels a little lookin for traction or a different path but once you are buried the torque load just increases so much that trying to move the handlebars can snap a front pretty quick.

Never know what you might hit in those holes as well. All part of the fun.

You going to try an upgraded aftermarket replacement?

·
Registered
173 Posts
you going oem or aftermarket for replacement? I would guess the extra HP and torque has something to do with it.

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
Hmm, stuck in the mud, broke my axle, why?why?why? LOL
Haha, gotta agree. Fix it and move on. Not sure how it is the machines fault??

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
^ obviously bc polaris should be specing their trail machineg to also be a mud machine as well. Built to turn 30" tires, unbrrakable axles. And run wide open throtle for hours without ever skipping a beat.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I actually broke my front right axle today I wasn't being hard on it.. stuck in mud but my 500 would have been fine. Its frustrating I only put 26 inch mud lights.

Pissed this happened
same thing happened to me except i broke three axles in a spot where i dont think they should have broken. most people on here are going to say tell u it was user error, but only you know how you were riding. if youve had a 500 and no issues im curious to see if this is going to be a common problem with the 570 even though all value units have the same axles including the 800 model which is sold to the military. o yeah and i had stock tires

·
Registered
619 Posts
I know this is another broken axle - stuck mud thread, and this will be an equally useless response.. but.. I really do empathize with these guys- not only because I've experienced it myself to some extent.. but in general, these machines should really be built to withstand this sort of thing. Its one thing if the guys with 30" tires are breaking axles, but its another thing if people with stock or 26" tires are breaking axles in the mud. I totally grasp the idea that mud suction creates a lot more resistance, and whipping the handlebars back and forth in an attempt to get unstuck is also rough on the machine. But I really do believe this is a reasonable scenario for an ATV... going through mucky terrain, occasionally getting stuck, and attempting to get unstuck using the 4x4 drive train and throttle... The design/engineering factor in these axles just isn't high enough if so many people are breaking them. I don't consider any of the riding I do to be abusive to the machine, and I've broken an axle with only a 400HO, its no surprise that the rest of the lineup is breaking them too.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I know this is another broken axle - stuck mud thread, and this will be an equally useless response.. but.. I really do empathize with these guys- not only because I've experienced it myself to some extent.. but in general, these machines should really be built to withstand this sort of thing. Its one thing if the guys with 30" tires are breaking axles, but its another thing if people with stock or 26" tires are breaking axles in the mud. I totally grasp the idea that mud suction creates a lot more resistance, and whipping the handlebars back and forth in an attempt to get unstuck is also rough on the machine. But I really do believe this is a reasonable scenario for an ATV... going through mucky terrain, occasionally getting stuck, and attempting to get unstuck using the 4x4 drive train and throttle... The design/engineering factor in these axles just isn't high enough if so many people are breaking them. I don't consider any of the riding I do to be abusive to the machine, and I've broken an axle with only a 400HO, its no surprise that the rest of the lineup is breaking them too.
And just please tell me WHY Polaris should reengineer it's entire line of atv's for all the mud puppies. They clearly state in the owners manuals that they aren't designed for thick and deep mud. If anyone wants to play in the mud, that's fine with me, but they do it at their own risk. Not everyone who buys Polaris or other brands try to take them through the deepest, thickest mud they can find. Many will never see mud except in a mud puddle, and some will never even get dirty, so redesigning the Polaris line for one sub group of customers who are doing things with their atv's that they weren't designed for, and breaking parts, is a ridiculous idea, and is a very easy way to price themselves right out of the market. As far as you saying so many people are breaking axles, look at the majority of the breakage and you will find them breaking because of modded machines, or using the machines in ways they weren't intended for.

One last question for you, You failed to mention what you were doing when the 400 axle broke?

·
Registered
737 Posts
I don't think they should re-engineer them. They should have just left them alone. All of the older sportsmans I have owned before my xps had way bigger beefier axles. You could get away with a small lift and 27''-28'' mud tires and still be good. So that is why I think people are upset, my old machine did this great, so I upgrade to a new machine that is less capable than my old one. Think about if your old 500 did 55 and your new 500 only did 45 wouldn't you be upset that it went backwards, I am not a real fast rider at all but I wouldn't want my new machine being slower than my old one. So am not going to say people shouldn't expect them to be driven that fast many of them will never go wide open to each there own.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 2013 500 and broke my front left with less than 30 hrs... my second ride actually ... I hear these axles and weak .... I went with cobra axle and haven't had a problem since

·
Registered
737 Posts
Yeah I upgraded my axles to cobras all around. I have broken tow of them now.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts