Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 1000 ranger was driving then loud bang underneath came to complete stop. Will not start now able to shift. Drive belt intact. Any ideas. Wayne

·
Registered
2017 Sportsman 850SP
1,139 Posts
I’m gonna go with a big a$$ rock! He was driving, hit a rock which made a Big Bang sound and caused his machine to come to a complete stop! The rock also punctured a hole in his oil pan, and now the machine won’t start.

Wayne, you gotta give us more information to go on if you want us to help you out!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m gonna go with a big a$$ rock! He was driving, hit a rock which made a Big Bang sound and caused his machine to come to a complete stop! The rock also punctured a hole in his oil pan, and now the machine won’t start.

Wayne, you gotta give us more information to go on if you want us to help you out!
Driving it all day zero problems. Went up driveway turned around drive on flat surface loud bang complete sudden stop. Won't start. Drive belt is not broken. No oil or pieces on ground

·
Registered
2017 Sportsman 850SP
1,139 Posts
Does it turn over? When you say stopped, did the machine come to a sudden stop or did the engine die?

Reactions: yooper265

·
Registered
2017 Sportsman 850SP
1,139 Posts
Well the good news is that if you can manually turn the primary, the motor isn’t blown. Now let’s get back to the staring issue. When you turn the key, what happens? Do you hear the starter solenoid clicking? Is the starter engaging? You haven’t given us much to go on. Be as specific as possible.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All lights come on. Able to work through the gears. When key is turned you get just a click. What I dont understand is it coming to a complete stop and loud noise from engine I believe. No oil or parts we pushed it back to garage. Belt is intact.

·
Registered
11,254 Posts
All lights come on. Able to work through the gears. When key is turned you get just a click. What I dont understand is it coming to a complete stop and loud noise from engine I believe. No oil or parts we pushed it back to garage. Belt is intact.
I guess I'm dense:
Lights come on = that's good
Able to work through the gears = no bearing on the problem
When the key it turned (to the start position?) you get a click - need to determine if the click is a relay or the starter solenoid (the solenoid is just a relay, but it's a high current relay - heavy duty, but intermittent and not designed for continous current flow)
Turns over = crankshaft turns normally when rotated by hand or with a wrench
Cranks = when the starter motor is activated, it runs, the Bendix engages the flywheel and it rotates the crankshaft
What am I missing?

·
11,949 Posts
I guess I'm dense:
Lights come on = that's good
Able to work through the gears = no bearing on the problem
When the key it turned (to the start position?) you get a click - need to determine if the click is a relay or the starter solenoid (the solenoid is just a relay, but it's a high current relay - heavy duty, but intermittent and not designed for continous current flow)
Turns over = crankshaft turns normally when rotated by hand or with a wrench
Cranks = when the starter motor is activated, it runs, the Bendix engages the flywheel and it rotates the crankshaft
What am I missing?
Yep, some folks use very different terminology than I'm accustomed to. They talk about "It won't turn over..." which to me means it won't crank or the engine won't turn when they hit the starter. But they are actually meaning the engine turns when they try the starter but it won't start.
We needs some detail OP...
Can you turn the engine by hand with the primary clutch?
When you turn the key to start what exactly happens?
Have you checked the engine and tranny oil to see what it looks like?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts