Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i bought my brand new 2013 500 HO back in August. On the second weekend of September i broke my first rear axel ( rear left at 18 or 19 miles.. I cant remember exactly). I recently just brought it in for the 50 mile service. Come to find out that the rear right is now broken. Now it was not as bad as it was for the left side. When it went it completly grenaded on the trail. But still, two broken axels in under 6 months give me a break. Has anyone else had this problem.

The only modes that i have to this are a rear seat for my girlfriend so she can come with me. A set of fender gaurds and foot pegs for her and a windshiled.

How can i fix this problem so it does not happen again. Because i am getting very frustrated with this.

Cheers
Chris

·
Registered
526 Posts
How much load does the atv carry at max? Do you use it to pull a trailer with more than 75 pounds of tongue weight? Are you going over 10 MPH on rough trails are a few questions you might talk to about with your dealer.

·
Registered
344 Posts
That sucks ! My 2011 had a bad axle on the left side . got it replaced (warranty) had no probs since. I ride a lot of trails and rough terrain. I do not carry any passengers. If I was to do that I would have purchased a two up machine. It is made to carry 2 people. I may be wrong in my thinking ,but anything but a 2 up is designed for one rider.This may be the reason u are having this problem. Just a thought.:cowboy: you might try installing aftermarket axles.

·
Premium Member
10,342 Posts
There are a lot of posts with broken axels on the values and xp's lines. The axels aren't bad in my opinion it's just the fact that they are the limiting factor (weak link). I have come up on rock beds and out of mud holes with the fronts spinning and then contacting the ground, after those instances I thought my axels were toast. Knock on wood they have held up. I think you would benefit from a set of rhino axels. You have to remember that hands down polaris has the best 4x4 system on the market and if u get one wheel that has 90% of the traction that axel is under some series torque. Bottom line ur riding style is causing the axels to break upgrade them and ride care free.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats the thing, my riding style is not very aggressive at all. And if i am starting to get stuck my girlfriend gets off so i can be more aggressive and get out.mimeven talked to the dealership and they said my axels should not be breaking with the riding i do.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
There is the magic word, "stuck"! If you are going to be playing in the mud you will break the OEM axles.

·
Premium Member
10,342 Posts
Thats the thing, my riding style is not very aggressive at all. And if i am starting to get stuck my girlfriend gets off so i can be more aggressive and get out.mimeven talked to the dealership and they said my axels should not be breaking with the riding i do.
i hear u bro, u my not be riding aggresive enough to break the axels and it my be a freak thing. its just that its the second axel to break so the way i would approach it is to upgrade to rhinos. it seems like the rhinos would fit ur type of riding and they have a good rep and warranty. its going to cost some dow to replace all four but ive been there done that. upgraded things on my bike just for piece of mind and a little added securiy that i will be enjoying my free time out on the trails.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
i hear u bro, u my not be riding aggresive enough to break the axels and it my be a freak thing. its just that its the second axel to break so the way i would approach it is to upgrade to rhinos. it seems like the rhinos would fit ur type of riding and they have a good rep and warranty. its going to cost some dow to replace all four but ive been there done that. upgraded things on my bike just for piece of mind and a little added securiy that i will be enjoying my free time out on the trails.
My 2013 500 has just about 300 miles now and has been on some mighty rough ground including 113 miles at Hatfield McCoy this weekend and no problems at all, but never carrying a rider. Quote, And if i am starting to get stuck my girlfriend gets off so i can be more aggressive and get out. If you are almost getting stuck then you are in mud deeper than the axles are designed to handle. Sorry for your misfortune but I'd say from what mine has done and where it has gone, that probably your riding habits are to blame

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
In my opinion axles break because wheels get turning and stop quickly in mud or bog. Front ones are more susceptible because of the steering motion puts a sideways force into the equation. Mud is fun but it may make you pay the price.

I have broke a total of six stock axles and have put Rhinos on my machines. I have not broken any of them but I also am not running a lift and only slightly bigger tires.

·
Registered
434 Posts
i had this problem with front axles always breaking usually when i wreck an a-arm (i've replaced 5 or six) last time i ordered the full axles(both cv's and axle) they gave me onse that im assumeing are off a bigger (more cc) model the axles themselves are bigger and i havent had a problem since. i found this out when i bought a new cv joint to replace one that i assumed was toast because i kept driving it with a ripped cv boot and it started to bind up and the axle splines wouldnt fit so i just cleaned up the joint had to stretch the cv boot about 3/8" to get it to fit the cv joint got it on and still havent had a problem since........mabye you could look into what axles fit both diff outsput splines and hub splines and get bigger axles

oh and the axles i ordered were from my polaris dealer and are oem

1 - 10 of 10 Posts