Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
while getting off my 4 wheeler ('13 550xp) my boot caught the throttle lever and snapped it off. I called the dealer and they want me to buy the entire assembly for $60. Anyone know how I can fix this cheaper or just putting a new throttle lever on there?

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
This was it's own thread in the general discussion section a while back. with someone wanting to make a metal lever to replace the plastic one. I think the consensus was that the initial cost was to great. but I could be wrong. A warning about liability issues got a heated response. but yeah. depending on where it broke you may be able to glue/plastiweld the lever back together (assuming you still have the parts) then epoxy a small strip of metal to the back to act as added support. Rivets were also an option. Both of these options would require that the break happened at the designed failure point and not in the shaft. If you could find the manufacture of the throttle assembly, you may be able to order to part direct. but that could be challenging, and possibly against trade agreements with Polaris.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Would suggest the complete replacement, I'm not to trusting of that kind of plastic repair on something that gets alot of movement, especially on the trail, don't want it breaking 10 miles in and getting towed all the way back, $60 insurance policy

·
Registered
22 Posts
fredbear

Hello Fredbear, I broke my throttle 2 years ago and I removed the piece that was still in the throttle control body(with the screw going through it, and rejoined it to the thumb piece using a two part epoxy which was designed for plastic. (JB weld for plastic) I have never had a problem since. I let it set up for 48 hrs. and then I really stressed it tremendously, It never gave me any indication of it breaking. The 2 part epoxy cost $5.15 and I have a lot left to use again on another project or perhaps several. I would hate for you to get stuck somewhere, but you asked so I told. I would not hesitate to use this method again. And before anyone asks, its been two winters of riding in some very cold conditions with no problems or cracks. Fix it this way, and look online for a cheaper throttle. $60. is a lot for a piece of plastic. Best of Luck, Joe

·
Registered
619 Posts
Here's an idea, I'd glue the piece back on, and also epoxy a metal brace on the back. THEN I'd put some heat skrink over the whole thing to really hold it all together.

I just installed a thumb-warmer this weekend and the Polaris kit came with a pretty thick and stiff heat shrink sleeve to cover the throttle level. I think the combination of the epoxy, the brace, and the heat shrink would really keep things together well.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the epoxy suggestion and I might give that a shot but I'm not sure I would trust it. Doing some research it looks like maybe one from a trail boss or a sportsman 300 might work and those are only $30. Can anyone confirm this?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
drill into were it broke on both pieces and take a small finishing nail or something, slide it together and use a little epoxy? may work?

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
after doing some research it looks like the best option is to buy a trailboss throttle controller and just use the thumb arm from that. It's cheaper because you are not buying the 4x4 switch. OEM part number 2010335 and the best I can find it for is $40. In the mean time I am gunna try and glue and screw mine back together.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts