Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a buddy up from Atlanta last night and wanted to show him the trails behind my house. All I can say is I Love my XP. That machine is such a beast and its basically unstoppable. Took him through some very heavy brush, through ditches and straight over some huge scrub trees. Maybe I can even drag a deer out of there is weekend with it as we jumped a couple during our trek and I have an itch to break out the crossbow. I will have to figure out how to put the plow mount on with my Ricochet system as the snow is just around the corner. I'm guessing I will have to take the one section of skid plate off.

·
Registered
294 Posts
After dragging the hide completely off of one the weekend before last, I ordered a hitch hauler (folding) to pitch them into. Should come in handy hauling multiple peolpe and gear from the truck to the woods as well.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
My plan is to run a walking beam trailer for hauling gear and hauling out the fruits of the labor.

·
Registered
294 Posts
A WBT would be great if you had somewhere to leave it and didn't have to transport it back and forth home along with everything else.

·
Registered
193 Posts
For pure functionality I've found that a rear drop basket is almost unbeatable. Huge capacity. You can drop a 150# buck in there and not even have to tie it down. If you need to carry stuff that needs to stay dry, Rubbermade tubs do just the trick. 5 gal gas, no problem. Helmet too. Stretch a flexible web over the top and you can stuff anything in and not worry about it blowing out. Bringing firewood back to camp is easy. Not as pretty as a nice box seat but way more functional for hunting.

·
Registered
294 Posts
How does that drop basket attach? I didn't figure the lock & ride tabs would hold anywhere near 150# of overhung weight.

The folding cargo basket is best for my situation. I can fold it up and still get the atv into it's parking space in the garage.

·
Registered
193 Posts
It bolts straight through the steel tubing that supports the rear rack and is attached to the frame.

The basket can be removed with 4 little bolts in about a minute right where you can see the break by the handles. With the fold down back rest those handles make for a decent rear seat (though not legal nor comfortable for any long trip). There are hangers on there so you wouldn't need to fasten those 4 bolts all the time but it would rattle and maybe fall off on rough trails without them.

This thing also makes it super easy to throw a 20 gal. sprayer on the back for weed control around the farm The rear rack is just too small without it for easy mounting a sprayer.

The dog also likes to ride back there when she gets tired enough.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have been dragging deer out of the woods by hand for years without any problems so I can't imagine causing the carcass damage pulling it with the ATV. That reminds me, these two guys (from a European country) were having a hell of time dragging this huge buck out of the woods. Finally, the came accross this guy and he commented on how great a deer they had bagged. One of the guys thanked him but said it was sure hard to drag as they had been working on it for a couple of hours. The stranger said well you should pull it by the Antlers because then you are dragging the deer with the grain of it's fur rather than dragging like they had been by its back legs which was against the grain of the deers hair. The stranger walked off and they started dragging the deer by the antlers and they found it to be much easier. The one commented to the other, man this is so much easier by the antlers than by the hind legs. The other agreed but said "the only problem is we are getting further from the truck"

·
Registered
294 Posts
It's not a matter of distance covered, it's the difference in speed between dragging by hand and dragging behind an atv. I've done it too many times. Even the ground composition doesn't make that much of a difference but a hard or rocky soil will speed the process.

When you get to truck, camp, what have you.. the hair will be gone from the hide. Drag it far enough behind an atv and the hide will also begin to disappear.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well...it sounds like I should be grateful that I live in Indiana and only have to drag it across dirt and weeds. Not many rocks here. I don't think I have even pulled a hair off the hide dragging through what I have too......lol....nice thing too is our deer are mostly corn and bean fed so doesn't taste gamey, especially if you let her hang for a couple of days.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Same here. The one I mentioned was drug roughly 600 yards on bare dirt down the edge of a standing corn field.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
You must be pretty hard on your deer Tomahawk.....lol.....I drug one a half mile behind my wifes Rav4 and 50 MPH down through a cut corn field and not a scratch on him...must be some thin skinned deer in KY....:) We just had a kid kill a 9 point during the youth hunt last week and it weight 260 lbs on the hoof. My buck last year hit the scales around 175 field dressed. Next pic was the year prior...younger deer but the rack had more mass.

Attachments

·
Registered
294 Posts
Those deer are wet. They're friction lubricated and at 50 mph, they weren't even touching the ground. LOL

Our bucks are roughly the same body weight. I've killed a couple that went over 230 dressed but they're the exception.

Here's a mediocre one that I killed last year and my buddy's son's first buck, also last year. Lucky rascal. He'll be hard pressed to top that one in his lifetime.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
That's a beauty!!

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
294 Posts
I got my hitch rack last night and it looks like I will have to return the folding hitch that I had already purchased. A 2" receiver hitch sits so far back on an XP that the tonge portion of the folding adapter doesn't allow the rack to clear the rear plastic when attempting to fold up. I guess I could add a length of 2" tubing to extend it but that would put the rack cantilevered way out there during use.

I'll just have to remove it when I put the atv in the garage. Bummer.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Those deer are wet. They're friction lubricated and at 50 mph, they weren't even touching the ground. LOL

Our bucks are roughly the same body weight. I've killed a couple that went over 230 dressed but they're the exception.

Here's a mediocre one that I killed last year and my buddy's son's first buck, also last year. Lucky rascal. He'll be hard pressed to top that one in his lifetime.
Wow...great deer!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have been dragging deer out of the woods by hand for years without any problems so I can't imagine causing the carcass damage pulling it with the ATV. That reminds me, these two guys (from a European country) were having a hell of time dragging this huge buck out of the woods. Finally, the came accross this guy and he commented on how great a deer they had bagged. One of the guys thanked him but said it was sure hard to drag as they had been working on it for a couple of hours. The stranger said well you should pull it by the Antlers because then you are dragging the deer with the grain of it's fur rather than dragging like they had been by its back legs which was against the grain of the deers hair. The stranger walked off and they started dragging the deer by the antlers and they found it to be much easier. The one commented to the other, man this is so much easier by the antlers than by the hind legs. The other agreed but said "the only problem is we are getting further from the truck"
This story reminds me of something Lou Holtz said when he was at Notre Dame when asked about the lack of team speed. He responded "I would rather have a slow guy run in the wrong direction than a fast guy"

·
Registered
2,980 Posts

Kids have all the luck, If you raise the head of those deer high and tie them up to your rear bumper, only the rear quarters and legs will drag. Much easier on the carcass

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
This story reminds me of something Lou Holtz said when he was at Notre Dame when asked about the lack of team speed. He responded "I would rather have a slow guy run in the wrong direction than a fast guy"
Are you sure he didn't say He'd rather have a slow guy run in the right direction than a fast guy running in the wrong direction

1 - 19 of 19 Posts