Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Kind of fed up with this scrambler(2014 indy red,no EPS), recently put 27" mega mayhem tires on my machine and on my first ride, in a fairly shallow mud hole, i blew an axle. Couldn't believe how easily it snapped, hardly gave it any gas and it just popped. This machine isn't reliable and i feel like i'm always expecting something to go wrong. Im going on my third set of plugs in 800kms, and needing a second set of steering bushings (clunking and handle bar play AGAIN)

Also, yesterday(before breaking the axle) when i tried shifting from reverse to high, the machine was revving at around 1600rpm (by itself, no throttle applied) and the shifter was locked. After a few minutes of struggling with it, it finally went into high. For the next hour or so the shifter was very stiff and hesitant to shift. When finally one shift from Park to High caused the machine to sputter and shut off(throwing an engine light). Waited a few minutes, flicked the key and it started(roughly) and the engine light went off.

Can anyone help shed some light on these problems?

I'm bringing it to the dealer tomorrow morning to fix under warranty, then possibly losing my shirt and selling the machine altogether.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a 2013 and I run 27in mega mayhems and im hard on my machine. I have 600 miles and no issues. And ive also upgraded to ngk iridiums and have had no issues with plugs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no idea why that axle snapped so easily. I may try upgrading plugs,
Still running champions. Wondering if that may be a part of the shutting off issue

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had issues with the champion plugs. The ngk part number is a 6043 and should be around 12-13 bucks a plug. The axle issue is always common. Im about to upgrade mine just to prevent being stuck on the trail

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What axles are you thinking of upgrading to?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I can get a good deal on highlifter dht front axles. So probably them. By buddy runs them and runs highlifter outlaw 2's with no issues. Its odd that you snapped it that easy though. I would definitely go through and check all the bolts and make sure they are tight on the front diff. Ive seen before that the diff comes loose and starts twisting and binding causing the front axles to pop very easily

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah i'm going to get the dealer to check over everything, i'll be sure
to let them know i'm not pleased how easily that snapped on a bike with 800km. Gonna ask them to check the tranny too..

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Fouling plugs is a well known issue on the 850s if you don't let them warm up good before taking off. Better plugs will help it a lot. Axles seem to be hit or miss on them. Many go thousands of miles without issue even with big tires. Some go 10'.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just wondering if its going to be worth dishing out $1000 on new axles..

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I have noticed some clunking in the steering stem as well....seems to happen when popping front end up over log on trail, or something like that...I dont get it during normal trail riding though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine clunks on around 1/2 of all bumps i hit, no matter big or small. Already had it fixed once under warranty, going in for the second time now. The first time the dealer just told me it was "a few bushings in the front".

·
Registered
737 Posts
hate to say it but the front axles are pretty weak on the xp's so if you want to avoid the headache plan on upgrading the axles or the dealer is gonna get annoyed with constantly putting axles in it under warranty.

·
Premium Member
11,342 Posts
steve idk that the factory parts are going to solve ur situation. go with the NGK iridium spark plugs, gorilla, cobra, rhino, or taylor axels. also jccapri a member on this forum makes bullet proof suspension bushings for ur bike.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I think someone posted that front axles from a rzr 800, not 800 rzr s. will fit in our xp atv. They are alot bigger and you will need the axle nut from 800 rzr too.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys, i'll be getting a set of NGK plugs. Should i replace axles all around or just do the fronts? Anyone hear of people snapping the rear axles? They look a bit thicker than the fronts

·
Registered
23 Posts
I doubt there is anything wrong with the transmission. If the rpm's wouldn't go below 1600 the primary would be driving the secondary making it very difficult to shift. These transmissions do not like to shift when the secondary is turning.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
I agree with ridinagain the axles are so hit and miss. Everyone I know with sportsmans and big tires only have problems with the fronts. The front ones like to pop when you hit full steering lock most of the time

·
Premium Member
11,342 Posts
Thanks guys, i'll be getting a set of NGK plugs. Should i replace axles all around or just do the fronts? Anyone hear of people snapping the rear axles? They look a bit thicker than the fronts
just do the fronts for now. they are the usual casualties.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'll have to message jccapri about the bushings, are they expensive? Im thinking i'll go with the rhino axles as im only running 27's with no lift. Is changing axles yourself a difficult task?

·
Premium Member
11,342 Posts
I'll have to message jccapri about the bushings, are they expensive? Im thinking i'll go with the rhino axles as im only running 27's with no lift. Is changing axles yourself a difficult task?
no not bad at all, the axels just pop out. they are held in by a spring clip and as long as it isn't all rusted to hell ur good to go. not positive on the price of the bushings but they should be in the range of 150-200 dollars. yup ur doing good research the rhinos are perfect for ur set up.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts