Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My axle broke and I know how to replace it but I cant get the upper cv housing out . Any suggestions would be appreciated. I know it pulls straight out but I cant seem to get a grip on it.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I used vise-grips on one side & a prybar on opposite side to pop it out.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Ive seen youtube videos of people using a ratchet strap slid behind it and pull until it pops. Other than that, vice grips on a slide hammer and yank as hard as you can.

I try not to pry against the diff at all....it would suck to crack that case

·
8,875 Posts
I've used a large exhaust clamp and a short piece of chain with the slide hammer on some stubborn ones and it worked pretty well. You can also use a longer chain clamped to the cup and a sledge hammer twisted in a loop at the chain end to jerk them loose.

·
8,875 Posts
Ive seen youtube videos of people using a ratchet strap slid behind it and pull until it pops. Other than that, vice grips on a slide hammer and yank as hard as you can.

I try not to pry against the diff at all....it would suck to crack that case
Yeah, I don't like to pry on them. You can mess up the seal that way too.

·
Premium Member
3,606 Posts
I have been able to get them out by GENTLY prying against the case. Soak behind the cup with whatever penetrating lube you like and with a prybar on both sides, try to rock the cup. If you can get it to rock it should come loose with the vise grip. Rock and soak, repeat until it comes loose.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I have been able to get them out by GENTLY prying against the case. Soak behind the cup with whatever penetrating lube you like and with a prybar on both sides, try to rock the cup. If you can get it to rock it should come loose with the vise grip. Rock and soak, repeat until it comes loose.
Yep, exactly what I did.

·
Premium Member
7,476 Posts
Awesome cause Ive heard nightmare stories on removing the axles.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts