Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was messing around on my quad last night and this morning I came out to find it in the field so I got on to drive it back and put it in the garage and it wouldn't move. I'm guessing its a belt issue? I need some help, I've never had to do this type of repair so speak to me like I'm a baby haha. I am mechanically inclined, just don't know much about this specific topic on the specific quad. btw, its a 2013 sportsman 500

Thanks

·
Registered
345 Posts
First thing to do, figure out how it got in the field where you found it.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Let me get this straight

You found your quad out in a field or the belt out in the field?

So you start it, put it in gear, throttle up and no go? Any noises/sounds?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol I'm guessing either me or my buddy drove it out there. But for all I know, an alien could have picked it up and placed it there hahaha.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found the quad in the field haha. not the belt. But yes correct, I start it, put it in gear, and no go. I'm goin out to rip the cover off now to see if thats the issue.

·
11,263 Posts
Sounds like you need to hide the key before the party starts next time. :joint::trink4::dunno::alcoholic::beer::trink26::wtf1:

·
Registered
993 Posts
Sounds like you need to hide the key before the party starts next time. :joint::trink4::dunno::alcoholic::beer::trink26::wtf1:
Exactly what I was thinking LOL

·
Registered
377 Posts
:popcorn:

What a crappy popcorn smiley. Doesn't move.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Have you checked the belt yet?

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
How many miles on this thing? Must have taken quite a shit kickin' to have gone thru a belt on a 2013.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Guessing it was an alcohol induced malfunction,since OP doesn't remember how it got there!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah it was definitely alcohol induced. It was the belt. I replaced it and now I keep hearing a clunking coming from where the belt is. Any ideas on that?

Sent from space

·
Registered
361 Posts
If the belt GRENADED then chunks probably flew into the snorkel and after starting it with the new belt they got sucked back into the clutch cover and are now being thrown around as you ride. Pull the cover again. Clean out the clutches with air and make sure to clean out the snorkel and rubber boot that connects the 2

·
Registered
377 Posts
+1 on that. If it wasn't a clean break, you gotta get all of the strings and crap out of there. Make sure nothing wrapped itself aroung the shaft behind the pulleys. If you can't see back there with a flashlight and a mirror on a stick, then pull the pulleys off and check.

If belt strings wrap around the shafts, they'll destroy your engine and/or tranny seals. Checking it is a PITA, but blown seals are really spendy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts