Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
96 sportsman 500 and 01 xplorer 400
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
96 sportsman 500 replaced brakes and calipers when I bought this winter. Son drove it and caliper broke off shearing the bolts off the mounting bracket and of course broke the brake line. So I bought another caliper and line (btw brake line install is awful!) this past weekend took it out again and it happened again?! Not sure what could be causing this only thing I can think of is the rotor? Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1995 magnum 425 4x4 2019 sportsman 570 2020 sportsman 850
855 Posts
Are the wheel bearings tightened correctly?

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
5,962 Posts
Normally when bolts shear off its because there loose or not the right bolt?

·
Registered
12,266 Posts
The wheel should lock up way ahead of the bolts breaking, unless they were incorrect tensile strength bolts or over tighened to the point of breakage. Pic may definitely help since this occurrence is rare or a first (I've never seen it happen prior to your description)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will try and get some pictures today. Bolts were correct size not over tight. My son was driving so maybe locked up and he kept going not sure. How do I check to see if bearings tightened correctly?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
as you can see here is where caliper bolts to strut arm that is where the bolts sheared off at
As

·
Registered
12,266 Posts
The bolts are steel and the struts are aluminum - someone is going to have to explain how the aluminum did not fail against the steel. It's a mystery to me - I can't offer any suggestions

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also noticed that my stock tires are rubbing tie rod ends which makes no sense with since they are stock wheels and correct tire size

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds like something ain't right with the hub and you have clearance problems?
Yea just don’t get it. I ordered new rotors and I’m gunna get some small wheel spacers. Still makes no sense when they are oem size wheels

·
Registered
2017 Sportsman 850SP
1,501 Posts
You shouldn’t put a bandaid on the problem by installing spacers. Something is not right. Need to find out what it is or you’ll have bigger problems that may potentially lead to an accident.

Reactions: MrEd

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
5,962 Posts
Just maybe if you would post up some pictures of the actual issue something will pop out that the seasoned technical people that are trying to help you.

It's in the rules........ Pictures, Pictures, Pictures

·
Registered
22 Posts
No I didn’t but other side seems to not have the problem.
Did you replace the rotors? Could you of possibly put the rotor on the wrong side of the hub. I know it sounds crazy but I've seen some weird stuff being a mechanic for 30 years.

·
12,369 Posts
I was talking about maybe something wrong INSIDE the hub as in a bearing come apart or something if the tie rod is rubbing on a stock wheel and shearing caliper bolts.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bearings are good to go, rotors on order, I already have all apart so to late for pictures sorry. Thanks for all the replies I sure appreciate it. Next stop the dealership I guess.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts