Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very upset with my Sportsman 570, 40 miles on it never even been WOT yet...

Today while riding I went down a small hill and got stuck at the bottom, went reversed myself half way up the hill and my tires started to slip.

Had my buddy hook up the winch and started winching me up the hill and I hit the throttle once and SNAP!

He got me back to the top and I see my axle is broken!!!!

Called my dealer very calmly and they said it's going to be a 2 week wait and they said it's probably not covered under warranty...

Anyone have this issue before? What was the outcome

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Sorry, but parts fail..... hopefully it will be covered under warranty, it should be unless your running large oversized tires?

·
Registered
815 Posts
Thats not too bad. I had a motor replaced in my 570 at 22 hours.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I'm going to start with welcome to the forum. Now I'm going to lead off saying you have a shitty dealer if over the phone the guys at the dealer tell you right away that it's your fault. Now with saying that you need to either find a better dealer or sell the machine cause parts do fail/break on any machine now days. What ever the cause be bad part or YOUR dealer not covering the repair don't take it out on all Polaris's.

·
Registered
815 Posts
agreed. Can am, yamaha, honda, suzuki, and arctic cat all break stuff for unexplained reasons.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yeah that should definitely be covered under warranty. Agree with the others. Find a new dealer. The dealer a lot of times is the group that can make or break if something is covered under warranty. You need one that will go to bat for you.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
i dont know how you explained how it broke..but for a dealer to say it will not be covered with out looking is a chit bum...not a dealer i would want..a good dealer would say bring it in..lets look at it..and go to bat for you..he gets reimbursed by polaris..not out of his pocket....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did not intend this thread to bash Polaris in anyway....

This being the first brand new ATV I ever owned(I have had 50+ used ones) I just wouldn't expect this to break out of no where....defective part from the factory, sure I would agree stuff happens....

As far as the warranty goes I completely understand how that part of it works, Polaris will take the bill for it NOT the dealership, I didn't even explain to them how it broke all I really said was, I have a 2014 Sportsman 570 my front axle is broken, when can I drop it off the ATV is less then a month old, then I asked if it were covered under warranty and he said probably not... :/

I completely understand stuff breaks, nothing is bullet proof, I would assume though that with less than 50 miles on the machine stuff like this wouldn't happen....

Hopefully the dealership takes care of it, I even purchased an extended warranty as well

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
pics lets see some pics of the 570 with broken axle

·
Registered
238 Posts
pics lets see some pics of the 570 with broken axle
I've got less than 60 miles on mine..

I'm in the same boat as Tyler though, I've had one new atv besides this one and it was an 08 Arctic Cat 700. Never broke any axles and I rode that thing hard; only thing I ever dealt with was torn cv boots and that was my fault for removing the stick guards (not realizing just how valuable they are).

I went straight to my dealer(local, not the one I purchased it from). Originally he told me that Polaris probably wouldn't cover it necause of my snorkels and that I might have better luck taking it back where I bought it since they're a larger one. I wasn't about to drive 3 hours away again just to have to drive back when my atv was fixed, IF they could fix it. I brought up the Magnusson-Moss Warranty act about the snorkels not being directly linked to my drivetrain and I asked him if he would take pictures and send it in since I didn't wanna just leave it there. He got back to me the next afternoon and said polaris would cover my damage under "good will" (cracked upper a-arm, bent a-arm bracket, two busted cv's, and I don't even know what else). I think me letting him know that I'm pretty well informed on how things should work gave him the push to try and get it done for me.

Our axles are not covered expressly in the warranty so it's a shot in the dark on whether they will fix it or not. If I was you man, I would take it there and see what they have to say about it in person and be as polite as possible and if they guy keeps being like that just go to a different dealership that will actually try and take your side on it. Don't let the negative nancy be the one to request it be fixed.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Any time a dealer hears or see's stuck, mud, water or snorkel when it comes to axles. All bets are off. Just like telling them I swamped it then asking if the warranty will cover a new engine.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Any time a dealer hears or see's stuck, mud, water or snorkel when it comes to axles. All bets are off. Just like telling them I swamped it then asking if the warranty will cover a new engine.
Correction, polaris makes the final call, not the dealer.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No pics of the broken axle yet.

It's going to be hard for them to say it was swamped or rock climbing or anything like that when under the atv there's not one sign it was even ridden yet.

I bought the ATV 2 hours away from where I live due to the fact I have worked with them before and I felt comfortable buying from them. The local dealer does not have the best reputation around but I do know a few people who say they're close with the dealer so I might have to have them get into contact with them.

I have not one issue doing the work myself but why should I pay for a part that really shouldn't have been damaged in the case my atv was being used? I just think it's a little unfair. If I rolled the quad, was in deep mud, or even in water and got jammed up, sure...I can understand. I think it's just more aggravating to drop big $ on a machine and have something like this ruin your day.

Hopefully it works out

I just ordered fully under guard skid plates to make myself feel a little better abou the situation ;)

·
Registered
993 Posts
See it's all about how your dealer pitches it to Polaris weather it is covered or not. If your dealer made some money on you and you spend some money with them and talk good about them they are more likely to go to bat for you and say, Hell yea he's a great customer and we value his business and gets the bill covered. If not when Polaris calls them they will say this is what happened will you cover it and they will say no because they can!! Sorry just how it is.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Cubby has it right. I do warrant claims for ford all the time. I can have pretty much anything approved or also declined all in how I present it

·
Registered
993 Posts
Cubby has it right. I do warrant claims for ford all the time. I can have pretty much anything approved or also declined all in how I present it
I knew I liked you for some other reason then riding Polaris LOL. I too work at a ford dealer, parts manager there what do you do? Warranty administer?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here's the broken axle!

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Loaded up! Dropping it off tomorrow

Attachments

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Well there's your first problem, Bringing it down in a GMC product. They will deny it for sure!

Better take the Mustang down with you too.

(just grinding your gears)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
LOL I work for GM so I got a wicked good deal on the new '14 Silverado

I recently sold my dodge 3500 diesel

1 - 20 of 41 Posts