Polaris ATV Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,557 Posts
Ha, Ha. I see it, now. Funny - thanks - I think I'll just stick with what I been doing for the last 40+ years. It'll have to be someone elses problem one day.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I read so many posts about people having the Oil Dip Stick break off after incorrectly putting it in and when you start the engine SNAP off it goes. You dont know this until next time when you check your oil. I have been very carefull when installing it but as with anything soner or later its your turn. Some that this has happened to them say no big deal see if you can fish it out, some say it gets ground up and plugs the oil pick up screen and starves the engine for presious oil. So....... Proactively what I did is purchase a new Oil Dip Stick $17.95 and took my current one and cut the stick off of the cap. I now will check the engine oil with my new one carried in a sealed tube in my storage box, and then reinstall just the dummy cap over the hole. No Dip Stick to break off.... What do you think?

View attachment 148389

View attachment 148390

View attachment 148391
What do i think ~ How cheap can you get to use a plastic dipstick. and then charge some one like $20 for a replacement? Are they making these in China now ? ~~~OldGeez

·
Premium Member
2,557 Posts
They don't break off on their own!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Don't know but Polaris was top of the line I have aolder 2002 700 Twin sportsman i bet to Heck and it still running fine ,have to ck' i think my dip sticks metal , I'm appalled at all the problem i see on here with new or almost new machines ,Not Good for business ~~ Old Gezz

·
Registered
2021 Sportsman 850 Premium
183 Posts
I have no clue how you could even get the thing in wrong or crooked or cross thread it. I tried to do it wrong, and it doesn't seem possible. I wonder if there was an update to the inside of the crankcase at some point, because my 2021 has a very small "window" to install the dipstick. I don't think it will let you install it incorrectly.

With that said, I still ordered and received a spare OEM dipstick so I could cut off my original one, and use the new one to check oil level.

·
Registered
2021 Sportsman 850 Premium
183 Posts
Here’s what my engine looks like with the dipstick out. Has a guide to keep the dipstick centered, as well as a hole further down that the end of the dipstick has to go in so it can’t move around. Does everyone else’s look the same?

·
Premium Member
19’ 850SP Camo. MtAiry Maryland
2,368 Posts
Here’s what my engine looks like with the dipstick out. Has a guide to keep the dipstick centered, as well as a hole further down that the end of the dipstick has to go in so it can’t move around. Does everyone else’s look the same?

View attachment 149642
Yes, my hole looks like that to.....🤣🤣

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
10,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I think it's getting put in the wrong hole.

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
10,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
So you know chit runs down hill and payday is on Thursday!

(sorry, just had to!)

21 - 40 of 56 Posts